Neon Has Faint Glow When Switch Is Off.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste.247

Reaction score
 Hi,

I have just changed a 45amp dp cooker switch & 13 amp socket. The new switch has 2 neon's one for the cooker switch and one for the socket. My problem is when the socket switch is turned off but something is plugged into it, the neon has a very faint glow. Only noticeable when the kitchen light is off.

I have re-inspected  the connections and it is wired correctly.

I know neon's do not need hardly any currant to operate, but as it is on the load side I do not understand where it is getting power from.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The polarity is correct unless it was wired wrong at the consumer unit. I will check this later as I am no longer at the house. But how would this create a currant when the switch is off?

At first I thought I could of wired one of the feed wires into the load side, but this is not the case.

Yes I have a plug tester and when the switch is on all 3 lights, light up to indicate all is correct. But when the switch is off and the room is dark. I can see a faint glow in 2 of the 3 indicator lights. This pattern indicates that there is no earth.

Faint glow in the dark, don't worry about it.

It could be any of 305 things, or is it 306? :put the kettle on

Hi,

I am new this forum and still finding my way around.

Steptoe, if I am in the wrong section I do apologise, but as I did do it myself and I am not an electrician I thought the DIY section was the place to be.

I say I am not an electrician as I am not, but I have completed the C&G 2330 and I am more than capable of changing like for like.

ProDave, I have a plug tester so the polarity is the correct.

I am a perfectionist and I want the things that I do to be correct.

I just want to know what is causing the neon to glow when there should be no power going to it. Is it because the 13amp socket switch isn't double pole (I've read that neons can glow when not in a closed circuit)?

Sorry for waffling on

Thank you Richard the ninth, a decisive answer.

I told my self from the start that it was induction, but as I had never seen it before I wanted a second opinion.

reason numbers? is there a genuine list? or am I just gullible...

I'm just thinking that its fairly unusual for neons to glow  TBH  .   There must be some leakage somewhere , not heard of induction causing them to glow TBH .   You say its a cooker switch so its DP  ,  have you tried a voltmeter across the output side of the switch ?    

Have you got the incoming  L in the  output & outgoing L in the input ?  

Usual problems with neons are either they go dim  or carp out totally.

You say its a cooker switch so its DP 
Deke: he said it was the socket neon.. not the cooker neon....

The socket side may only be a single pole switch ??

Ste247:   What position is the cooker side of the switch at (on/off) when the socket neon is glowing... 

does the socket neon always glow even with the cooker switch off as well....?

I presume the cooker is always on for a timer clock or similar...

has the whole circuit from fuse box to cooker been tested for earth continuity and insulation resistance...

Take the cooker switch back off and double check where the neons have been connected to in the back of the switch..

duff manufacturing maybe..???

Guinness