Wireless Or Remote Control Radiator Thermostats.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alggomas

Reaction score
I saw a news item recently about wireless radiator thermostats.

I am disabled and getting on a bit, but this was very interesting. I have had a look round the internet and these are selling from about £20/50 each. Replacing the original valves seems straight foreward and I like the ones with big digital readout of the temperature.

My question is what else do I need? Phone app/remote control? Do I need to spend a lot more money? Replacing my radiator valves will cost about £400.

Thanks.

I would have to ask why?

As I see it (I may be wrong) but why do you want a programmable rad valve?

The idea seems to be that you set it up to change temperature settings over various times of the day for that one room. (You do this to each valve)

To me that would imply that you are making your own home a "prison" since you can't go in the back bedroom until 1500 because the heating is not on in that room. You may then say that as its radio control you can over ride that one from the lounge, so that means that you have to override the stat at least an hour before you want to go in there just to make the room warm.

Say you spend £400 on these, will switching off all radiators except the room you are in save you £400 in a year? I think not, may be 10 years, oh but it wont be £400 because they all need batteries, the batteries will need changing around once a year.

I would say that for a building with lots of rooms (Hotel) they may be a good idea, (turn them all down at the same time) but for a house, I can not see them being of any use, more a gimmick, but that is just my opinion.

As for what will they need to operate that depends on which ones you choose to look at, one place i looked at will sell you the stats no problem, as many as you like, but no controller as they are 0 in stock. Not a lot of use mentioning that site then.