A sink, a socket & a microwave

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just been asked to move a microwave from one side of a sink/drainer (drainer side) to the bowl side, there is only enough worktop on this side of the sink for the microwave to fit and the socket that would be used in underneath in the cabinet.

Now normally I don't have a problem with sockets being under in sink cabinets as it's normally a dry location; and I wouldn't install a socket within 300mm of the bowl, but what they want me to do is to remove the plugtop and pass the cable through holes to allow reconnection of the plug and then plug it in the socket below.

What's your thoughts??

If you are feeling nervous about water getting through the hole fit an IP rated outdoor socket?

I lived in a student house where all the undercounter appliences were plugged in above the worktop, fed through little holes :)

If the microwave is new, you void the warranty by removing the sealed plug.

As long as customer is aware of this, so be it.

n.b. for those who don`t like sockets in cupboard (see earlier thread - last summer I believe), This months P.E. mag has a section on it - seems it does NOT contravene regs.:ptold you so!

Personally I can't think of any reg about this, especially as it's an appliance and doesn't come under BS7671, but it's not really suitable for it's environment is it...

BTW it's in a school staff room not a kitchen!! although I suppose you'd call it a kitchenette!!

Good idea Apache, then they still have the space below available.

Or....spur using plastic conduit from socket underneath to new surface-mounted socket above, so keeping the original plug.

look at this way they could easily have done this themselves at least you are trying to keep the outlets/plug away from the source of water, which in this case is the best you can hope for.

i've seen this done before where an extension lead has been used and placed on top of the microwave with kettle toaster coffee machine all plugged into it :(