Minor Works

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
I know installing a new circuit it has to be rcd protected, but how does this work on a minor works i.e an extra socket or a spur for a boiler?obviously this example is with a board with i.e a rewirable fuse board?.On a minor works what I am saying is would I have to put an rcd fused spur and an rcd socket front on the socket or dont you have to do this and put normal sockets and spurs on?Just like to clear it up?

Andy so you dont have to put rcd protection on minor works using rewirable boards obviously excluding certain areas i.e bathrooms depending if they are supplementary bonded etc so your new socket installed is just a basic socket front?

Right so what to do is just make sure in certain areas i.e bathrooms it is rcd protected i would always put a spur for a boiler rcd anyway on minor works.What about living rooms installing an extra socket rewirable board cant you just put a normal socket front on?Id say fine it would be a code 3 on a periodic no protection to concealed cables 50mm or less.All im saying is it would look stupid with a normal socket front next to a rcd socket it would look a difference if you have to put them on?

regs state the socket must be RCD protected. end of.

look on the bright side, you can rip off your customers even easier now saying that the super protective socket that must be fitted costs £50...

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy so the other option is to make the whole ring rcd protected to get round this and then you get the same looking sockets thanks