Roller Shutters...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im at a property (today) doing a load of stuff and one of the things on my list is to have a look at one of the roller shutters..

Well, it has a supply to the up/down switch and to the motor isolator however the motor won't turn... It did about a month ago.. the property is being refurbed

The motor windings look to be o/c a good adjacent one has readings of 38ohms (each)... this one is open circuit L1-N. L2-N and L1-L2

The question that I have is that the motor has a couple of adjustments on it... are these limit switch adjustments or motor speed adjustments. ... or is it FUBAR and they need to get a shutter co. in to sort it?

there are 2 limit switches, top and bottom. there is not usually a motor speed adjustemnt

if it has power and doesnt turn, then it may be a limit switch thinking its either open or shut - common of anyone has removed / refitted the shutter but its not in the exact place it was. you can adjust them easily enough by moving switch about. if you have the power on and adjust, it will move a bit then stop, then repeat until its in the right place

fairly easy to work with and adjust

Right then... this is a shops shutter and it doesn't have any limit switches unless they are built into the motor.. it is operated by a key switch which is centre off...

TBH I think the motors had it

it will have a limit switch in the motor, regardless of its control (either remote of key sw)

if its suddenly stopped working then it could be a winding burnt out, or a switch is stuck

All im doing at the moment is ripping out the existing stuff... except for lighting...

I gave the guy a day rate and we're in the process of falling out because I'm likely to go over the price that another co. gave.... I told him that my price is my price and that I dont care what the other guy priced

As it is I might come in the same, but he won't know that until im done.... and then theres the weighing in ;)

So TBH I now don't care

if its any help, here's the guts of a tubular motor (had to re-wire it, it broke free from mounting, motor turned where its not supposed to and ripped wiring to shreds)

the brass threaded part is the adjustment, connected to the outside

if you look closely, you will see that there is a bit of black tape under the red thats wider...

everything of mine is marked with red & black tape. usually side by side  (as in the screwdrivers), sometimes red ontop of wide black (as in the punch)

and then other tools have different tape for identifying something else, like the pozi driver in the pic has brown, and the modulo has blue...

Last edited by a moderator:
could be worse.. could be in scouse land. in which case, each tool would need its own GPS tracker

comes in useful for quickly identifying who they belong to on jobs with a few trades... or at my unit, usually end up with a mix of tools from my van & unit, so easily see what lives where