"off" Dog

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Apache,,,

I was just wondering if you had any ideas about what might be wrong with our dog?? (before we go to the vets tomorrow - he is booked in)

A bit of background...

The vet recons he's a 12 to 14 year old Corgi/Spaniel cross... he was a rescue and we've had him about 10 years. In that time he has never been ill (except for getting fleas after he visited a neighbour)

What's happening is that maybe once or twice a day (that we have seen) he sort of has a massive grin, his teeth are chattering and he looks a little out of it.. He is also a bit grumpy,,, "ooofing" pretty much all the time that we aren't there and he has also recently being missig the postman... he normally hears him from up the road (somehow)... Apart from that he is a relatively fit and healthy dog,, ok he has to think about it a little more when he jumps in over the back door threshold (maybe 9") but we'd put that down to him getting a bit older

Obviously we're concered about him and these "siezures" are something that we want to get to the bottom of,,, for his benefit

Just had an after thought.... He has also, over the last few months, become very demanding for physical attention.. So much so, that if you have your feet crossed, and up, that he will press against them with his neck or chest... Any hanging hand is also fair game

It doesn't scream a particular condition, but getting the dog checked is a great idea. Some bloods might be required. They can get dental pain, are the teeth ok, does the breath smell?

Could have a touch of arthritis.

Please let me know how you get on.

From what I can tell his teeth are OK,,, I had a feel around his mouth (and a quick look) the other day,, he didn't show any signs of pain and his breath is fine..

He's had 3 episodes that we know of this evening :eek:

On the other had we have been thinking he's starting to get arthritic

My experience with my dog, - if it's worth anything - is that he's asking for help with the attention seeking. Have you checked his ears? Might be obvious but ear infections are easily picked up.

Well,, he was taken to the vet today and there was nothing obvious, they did however take bloods and warn us that he may have a liver problem or maybe a tumour somewhere :|

We'll find out on Monday hopefully

Well... We've had a call from the vets today and he doesn't have a problem with his liver,,, so that's good however we don't know what's causing these events... although his teeth are still chattering occasionally,, they say he may need anti seizure drugs..

I know you've not seen him, but what do you think??

Could be some kind of 'mini fit'. It is possible.

My next gut feeling would be to try some Vivitoni/Propentofyline to improve cerebral blood flow.

Following on from this....

We found that he had an infection and he was subsequently given antibiotics and the fits seemed to stop.... Can "fits" show as a symptom of an infection? Or is it just coincidence?

I'm asking this as he has started to have symptoms again and although he's been prescribed the same drug again, we've noticed that he has a creamy discharge from "down below"

Would be an unusual pattern, but infection can lower the threshold and make them more likely to have fits.

Seems a bit odd. Some discharge from the penis can be considered normal.