Options For Freeview Tv

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently sacked SKY because I was fed up of ever increasing costs and being charged extras for things like HD when its free elsewhere. Anyway, I have a dish with 2 LNB inputs from it. I also have an aerial with booster which works well. I dont live in an area where there is cable so cant go down that route.

I was thinking of getting a freeview recorder. Am I better going for one with an aerial input or the freesat one> which has most channels or is there one where you can connect LNB and areial? any bright ideas?

While were on the subject, I am currently on BT for phone/broadband/TV (TV in another room from main TV) So looking at possibly switching to talktalk for phone broadband and a youview box set up - again this TV is for another room and not where I want my recorder.

I have a  HD freesat  recorder with 2 inputs that i bought when i got rid of Sky. I have been  meaning to get the dish realigned  since the summer but there were more channels than freeview when i last compared.

You will get harassed by Sky through emails, phone and letters for ever as they think you cant live without them . I had to threaten them with legal action before it stopped.

Actually for the best choice in free tv you need freeview AND freesat.  Both have channels that the other does not.  I have a PVR for both.

P.S Sky has the same number of free HD channels as freesat. You only have to pay for the subscription HD channels 

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost cancelled my Sky last year but then realised I would lose F1 and no Sky Go when in Cyprus, Sky agreed to reduce monly by £10 for 6 months so for now I'm staying.

If could get F1 and Sky Sports another way I would ditch them as there must be 80 channels I never watch.

Almost cancelled my Sky last year but then realised I would lose F1 and no Sky Go when in Cyprus, Sky agreed to reduce monly by £10 for 6 months so for now I'm staying.

If could get F1 and Sky Sports another way I would ditch them as there must be 80 channels I never watch.
Again I'm sure I've seen this on Raspbian (Navi x) ;)

We have only ever had freeview. I do have recorders on three TV's though. I did try freesat but could never line the dish up. Just got another aerial and another freeview recorder.

youve got my attention  do you have a link for ahem free channels
First off you need to get a Raspbery Pi,,,, once you have that Google "Navi X for Pi" and "Fusion for Pi"... That should get you to the right pages... then just follow the instructions to install them..... TBH the quality is great :)

Of course I only watch free to air stuff... You know, things that are legal ;)

I watch the F1 live and for free from the German satellite channel RTL, with English comentary via Radio 5 Live (or R5LSX)

Shame on the BBC for putting us in this situation, but it would not make me spend one penny on a sky subscription just to watch F1

Last edited by a moderator:
I watch the F1 live and for free from the German satellite channel RTL, with English comentary via Radio 5 Live (or R5LSX)

Shame on the BBC for putting us in this situation, but it would not make me spend one penny on a sky subscription just to watch F1
Well I like F1, Discovery and History Channels, the wife loves tennis so Eurosport and Sky Sports. So for now will stay with Sky.

so the only advantage of a freesat recorder over a sky box is you can record on it. Not able to record on sky box after subscription is cancelled. Sky have called me twice so far offering me special deals to keep my custom!

you could get a skybox f5,  [example]

that allows you to record, amongst other things   ;)

so the only advantage of a freesat recorder over a sky box is you can record on it. Not able to record on sky box after subscription is cancelled. Sky have called me twice so far offering me special deals to keep my custom!
are you sure about that?

my mate has a sky+ box and Im fairly sure he can record on it, freesat only of course,

but, I would need to ask him to be certain.