Part P Today With Another Firm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza123

Reaction score
hi,

first post but bit of a rant to be honest!

I've always been registered with Elecsa but haven't done much domestic so decided not to renew last year but this year loads of domestic has come in so decided to register elsewhere don't really want to give the name. very unknown but end of the day their all the same.

this guy asked 100's of questions i felt like i was doing the 2394/5 again!

he wanted all sorts of documentation, i had all the stuff i used for elecsa but he wanted loads more.

finally got to the job (the rewire wasn't totally finished but board in lights sockets etc) gave him a test form he asked why i had tested a partly finished install, i said because the customer is living there and other trades are there, he just i should have just energised it and had her sign a piece of paper saying its not tested and she would accept responsibility?

at the job he had huge list of problems or which he said were problems;

1- i had men the mains water even though the incoming main was mope (i tested resistance and was around 11Kohms)

2- wall mounted a smoke alarm although instructions says its fine

3- not enough smoke alarms, the house is a cottage 3.6m wide 7m long, he wanted smokes all over the place and said it had to be done (smokes not even a legal requirement for a private dwelling for the owner to reside in.

4- kitchen not on own rfc (3x2gang sockets) it is tiny only 1.5m wide and 3m long i had agreed with customer her appliance requirements and virtually nothing (vegan so eats barely anything- nothing against vegans)

5- smokes on their own dedicated circuit although Aico disagree 

6-Insisted on a bathroom fan even though opening window

7- not happy that the back half of the house 1up 1 down was on the same rfc and the front was on the same rfc the lights split up and down

8 - breaking the 'fire barrier' by the above method, although no fire barrier in place wanted everything sealed

9- didn't like the idea of the electric boiler being run through a contactor

10- he was even picking faults in previous certs of which the jobs were seen by elecsa

11- didn't like that i hadn't trunked behind the dot n dab

is it just me or are many or all of this talking out of his a***?

im glad someone agrees i started to question myself, glad has careful as hew would have tripped over his own chin!

I'm questioned him and he didn't like it

Sounds like he was having a bad week my last assessment I was picked up on not doing enough ass covering :(

Its not FENSA is it? Lol they withdrew from this part pee nonsense so I could only be bsi I think a few on here are registered with them

He's a fool!

It is doubtful he is competent to specify the smoke alarm requirements.

No fire barrier in a single dwelling occupied by a single family unit, unless that's changed VERY recently.

I'll start again.

1 Your test shows that it needs bonding, thus you bonded it, IF I read your comment correctly, not an issue, he has no clue.

2 None of his business

3 None of his business

4 Not an issue, it's compliant with BS7671, so no worries.

5 Smokes on own circuit, it is recommended they be on a local lighting circuit, however, manufacturer says OK, so thus not an issue, I suspect they will indicate if there is a circuit failure.

6 None of his business

7 Not a problem

8 No fire barrier in a dwelling occupied by a "single family unit"

9 None of his business

10 Not really any of his business

11 That sounds like best practice to me

You should have asked him which BS7671 regulations you were breaching.

Whenever my AE tries to pick me up on a point, I ensure that he puts a reg no on the paperwork and an explanation why.

Did this guy?

If not why not?

If you fail the assessment, then you should be demanding an explanation of which regs you were breaking.

Sounds like the guy is a 5ww who has conned his way into the job.

He didn't state any numbers from BS7671. After looking at the job i was rather wound up so when he asked to see the Aico alarm instructions i made him stand out by the van with me it was freezing and raining but i had big jacket on seeing him stand there and shiver made me feel a bit better about it. i have since out a list of the regs which shows i haven't done anything wrong.

i hadn't trunked behind the dot n dab but i had used the capping.

i am going to complain it was a joke, he called himself and electrical engineer so i called his bluff by slipping a copy of my mechanical engineering degree and asked him was it trough the same way i did mine; just a blank look and skipped on.

should have reregistered with elecsa or gone nic

I knew it,

but, they really seem to be a massive mixed bag of assessors tbh,

some are really good, othyers are as you describe,

give their office and ring and tell them he was a ********, they will sort it out for you.

I found them to be really good, had them to a job of mine,

but in the end my business plan didnt go down the route of needing scam membership,

for the money they are miles better than the rest,  IMHO

ok ill do that. i don't know anybody who's with them but thought id give it a go. i weren't sure if it was because he had driven from up north to see me meaning he had an earlyish start

the guy that started Stroma was actually a pissed off tradesman that was fed up with the scams ripping folks off,

maybe it has grown too fast and he has lost control. ?  :C

today i received 3 emails containing all the paperwork we went through along with all the non conformities i got. i think a child wrote it up?! the spelling is appalling even to the point some words were awkward to actually try and read...

doesn't look good to me...