Tn-C-S Pme Earthing System

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LtMcClane

Reaction score
Hi everyone I need some help understanding how a TN-C-S earthing system works, I am struggling to understand how the earth can be connected to neutral and no neutral to earth fault occur?

Wouldn't the earth become live if connected to neutral?

Please help

Thanks

Thanks for your help guys, I'm still struggling to understand how 230v neutral can be connected to earth and no fault occur? Also why wouldn't the earth become live if it's connect to 230v neutral?

Neutral and earth are one in the same thing at the local tx for all earthing systems,,, the different supply types are then dependant on how they then cable it to your property

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so why on the installation side when earth and neutral connect there is an earth fault?

i suggest you go back and re-do your apprenticeship. obviously they didnt teach you the basics. and even more scary that your self employed and do know how electricity works

maybe this applies to your situation more?

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-22.png

Ok, so why on the installation side when earth and neutral connect there is an earth fault?
Because there is a regulation that says that we are not allowed to use a CNE within our installation (without home office approval),,, only the DNO are allowed to use them

I am currently doing an apprenticeship, just was trying to understand how you can have 230v down a neutral that is directly connected to earth and have no fault

I am currently doing an apprenticeship, just was trying to understand how you can have 230v down a neutral that is directly connected to earth and have no fault
Simple You can't.

If you are having trouble understanding a.c. then try thinking as if it was d.c.  your car battery has 12V at the positive terminal (think live) and the negative terminal (think neutral) is bolted to the chassis of the car (think earth)

So neutral and earth are the same at the source of power (battery or local substation)

So you don't have 230V on the neutral any more than you have 12V on the negative on your car.

Make any more sense now?

Yes thats starting to make more sense now, so there is no voltage on the neutral cable at all

I think you may wrongly be thinking AC alternates between L & N ?

It doesnt, its all on the L and returns down the N the same as DC.

Just trying to keep it simple peeps
well pointed out,

as it being so obvious,

but, its a very, VERY, common misconception among people that dont know what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.