Electric Storage Heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

Reaction score
I have just moved into a two bed flat in derbyshire, there is no gas around this area, so need to have some storage heaters put in [as there is no heating what so ever in it] glad i moved after the worsed of the winter!can anyone point me in the right direction please , i know nothing abouta electrics at all. thanks

That is most definitely a job for an electrician.

It involves another consumer unit and additional metering equipment from you electricity supplier, as well as the storage heaters.

Yes you need an electrician to add the second consumer unit and wiring for the storage heaters.  Then when that's done, get your electricity company to come and convert you to an economy 7 or even economy 10 tariff, and in the process they will change the meter for a dual rate one and connect the new consumer unit.

A complication may arise depending where your electricity meter is.  you say it's a flat. Often with flats, all the meters for the block are located in a communal service cupboard.  If that is the case then to do things in the conventional way would require another cable from this cupboard to your flat, which may or may not be practical.  There are ways round this, so if that is your situation come back and tell us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just moved into a two bed flat in derbyshire, there is no gas around this area, so need to have some storage heaters put in [as there is no heating what so ever in it] glad i moved after the worsed of the winter!can anyone point me in the right direction please , i know nothing abouta electrics at all. thanks

Flat??...

presumably this is one of a number of other similar flats in a block...?

First thing I would do is have a chat with the people in the other flats..

ask what sort of heating they use.. 

if they think their heating is sufficient or not?

how expensive it is to run...?

Don't forget to take account of the number of external walls and if it is a top floor flat...

More heat can escape than if you have other occupied flats above you!..

Guinness

Here we go again with Sun Direct out of date, cut and paste info.

Time to bin them.

Reported

Last edited by a moderator: