4 Static Ip's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me for what reason I would need 4 static IPs ?

Im thinking of changing BB provider, and they are currently not offering 1 , but 4, static IPs, in a bid to get me to stay,

oh, and sign me up for 12months, Im currently out of contract for the past 6months or so.

Im with talk talk at present, and tbh its not been the worst, bar a few episodes,

but have considered plusnet, except they want me to sign up for 24months ,

prices are fairly similar,

AH,

so, I could have a different IP for my server,

a different one for cctv,

a seperate one for the wife, kids etc so they dont mess about with my stuff,

and, 1 spare to 'play' with,?

I kinda like that idea,  :D

I was quite happy with Talk-talk for a couple of years whilst I was with them, but when I tried to leave ( mainly because I was moving house and phone etc was being provided in the new place) they became the devil incarnate and threw all sorts of really nasty sh*t at me. Claiming id breached contract, all manner of charges, I ended up 'owing' them many hundreds of pounds in the end,then the bailiffs letters, credit control companies.....it went on and on

They got the sum total of naff all out of me but by 'eck did they try. it went on for ages. Tossers.

I knew damn well they could go and jump, but I imagine they've conned a few million quid out of unsuspecting OAPs etc. T*rds

I think that they would all need to be in the DMZ though, that is "outside" your modem?
yes,

I think Im going to need Deke to explain that to me,

WTF does that mean Sidey?

I dont really need 4 IPs, it was when I threatened to leave them as they refused to give me ONE static IP that they then came back with a load better offer, and 4 static IPs, if I wanted them,

BTW, Im unsure as to issues with provided routers/modems anyway, and i need a new one,

so will be getting whatever sort of modem is best suited, if I can.

I was quite happy with Talk-talk for a couple of years whilst I was with them, but when I tried to leave ( mainly because I was moving house and phone etc was being provided in the new place) they became the devil incarnate and threw all sorts of really nasty sh*t at me. Claiming id breached contract, all manner of charges, I ended up 'owing' them many hundreds of pounds in the end,then the bailiffs letters, credit control companies.....it went on and on

They got the sum total of naff all out of me but by 'eck did they try. it went on for ages. Tossers.

I knew damn well they could go and jump, but I imagine they've conned a few million quid out of unsuspecting OAPs etc. T*rds
Had exactly the same with virgin media... They couldn't provide me with a "broadband" service when I moved so I quit they tried it for months eventually they did f off. Haven't used a Virgin product since :|

Am with BT now it hurts but I do get 35mbp/s unlimited.

Canoeboy said:
Get a router from Talk talk that can utilise 4 static WAN IPS - it should be FOC

Get it in writing that it will work  :innocent
he did tell me they would send out a new router/modem, maybe thats why,

I'll be sure to ask that specific point, he is calling me at 9.30 tomoz morning.

tbh, most of the rest of it seems to be a good deal

Canoeboy said:
Plus net are far superior to Talk Talk and you can have a 12 months contract with them

I have been with them for over 7 years now and can only say good things about them
basic tariff plusnet want 80p /minute to call Thailand [the FiL lives there] as opposed to 12p/min from talktalk,

similar tariff on plusnet for 12p/min calls is about 12£/month more than talktalk ,  :|   and a 24month contract.

thats basically the dealbreaker for me, cheap calls for the wife to ring her dad, maybe works out to near 2hours a month sometimes.

been through all these things,

( unless there is some manner of it changing to a proper phone call somehow at the other end? )

just not reliable enough if you are not in a city in Thailand,

he lives in proper rural Thailand, about 3hours or something like that from city.

dirt roads, mud huts etc etc etc. about 1spot where mobile coverage exists,

he is the multi-millionaire of the village,  :slap

a voip service like vonage or skype can call landlines.

multiple static ip addresses only really come in useful for VERY specific people. even then, their added value might not be worth it. useful if you have several servers using different services, that happen to use the same ports (although that is rare, and can be configures otherwise).

Latest posts