Is There A Quicker Way To Get Qualified When I Am A Competent Person

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyotto

Reaction score
Hi to anyone reading this.

I have been in the electrical/construction industry for over 5 years now. From house refurbs to power stations and substations.

I realise now i have to get my ticket if i want to reach a higher position within the industry.

Is there any way my experience can be taken into account when pursuing my c&g 2365/ gold card?

I cant really afford the time off to go to college full time. I am not looking forward to spending over 2 years in college being taught something i teach apprentices on site.

Any push in the right direction would be great. I live in the kent area.

welcome to the forum, the first thing you have to do is write down all your skills and responsibility. This along with your experience can go a long way to persuading the JIB to give you a suitable card.

It is not a foregone conclusion, but worth a try.

If you call them they will try and give you guidance, and as always it is better from the horses mouth than over a forum on the internet.

1. My experience was all self employed.

2. I tried to get information from the jib last year. I was put onto the c&g and they told me to ask the jib.

3. I have been looking into evening courses, most start in September. I will be making contact with a tutor on monday

Your have said you are time served and industrial, your time served should give you a gold card. Its a recognised apprenticeship.

Why even bother?? Surely with all your experience all you have to do is go to the local college and say you want assessing for an NVQ3 "accreditation of prior learning" I believe they call it. We all know NVQ stands for not very qualified, but who cares, it is all they want in this modern dumbed down world.... Should be a lot easier than what you have planned, that sounds to me like starting again...

How you working up to now if you got no quals?? I know you say you are competant, but how do you know this and what paperwork do you have to back this up. I could say i am an astronaut, when the highest thing i have ever stood on was a chair!  Not having a dig or anything, just interested is all. As i say, you should be able to get the bits of paper you need no worries, [depending on what you are planning to do of course]

john....