Apprenticeship Advice Wanted

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeward92

Reaction score
I'm currently studying a part time evening course at my local college (Bury St Edmunds) and working with a sparky during the week. I've funded the course myself to begin with which costs £1200 a year because I'm now 21 and fall just outside of the funding age bracket I believe. 

So, the question really is... does anyone know of anyone funding available or anything that I could tell my boss that may persuade him to take me on as an apprentice simply in order to get some kind of government funding to help with my training? It's an EAL course (equivalent to the C&G and will end up with an NVQ L3 by the end of the 3rd year).

I know that's probably a bit of a long shot but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

funding tends to be YES or NO, if you are outside the criteria you get nothing, and its all about to change. You could try some charities, like the Princes Trust, who will sometimes help young people. The only other option is to do stuff like sign-on for 6 months, then you may get some funding through that route. Talk to other training providers, you may get different advice, or someone like the careers service, if that still exists.

Has to be said if you are working and funding it yourself, it shows a level of determination that will stand you well in the labour market - I say this as the owner of a small business...

Binky,

Thanks for the advice, I will have a look into a few of those options and see what I can come up with!

Latest posts