V Phase - The Final Verdict?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoke and mirrors!

But what do I know?.........there are many and varied answers to this question

Foolproof way to use less electricity ( legally)........ TURN STUFF OFF IF IT IS NOT NEEDED

i put and energy monitor on a clients site years ago.......other than PCs the main load was lighting.

Hundreds upon hundreds of flu fittings

Every buildings lighting board was on a set of contactors. When they opened up in a morning the security bloke went around and turned on every contactor...this was around 0530/0600. Staff did not arrive until. 0750.

I even identified one morning when he did his walk around in a different order as the peaks on the display were different.....he had gone to the canteen to make a brew and turned everything on....he usually did this last

Company bought him a torch

Just saying..........simplest technology is often the best. Just because you have the equipment/technology does not mean you have to keep using it all the time!

Eg people walking around taking pics with an ipad........the ipad mini is a bit less in your face and is thus possibly acceptable to me, but inly just!

Or my fricking neighbours.......as soon as the rain stops then out comes the barbecue! SHE is so fecking dense she puts the marinade on last as in her mind. "Marinade is a sauce for barbecues".....shicker than thit

Just ranting

problem is people are stupid / don't pay the bills, like the security guard, which is why gadgets can work well. We converted a local car-park to led from CFL, with micro-sensors built into every fitting so that if no-one is driving around the car-park, the lights dim to 10% - 57.5% energy saving. Most notable is the monitoring figures for overnight, from around 11.30pm to 6am the  car park s clearly not used, and lights are on 10% virtually all night.

you mean something like this....

Yep, thats the one!

Get a lot of fat birds with tats doing it as well.

Funny when the ipad falls into the water.

Do not get me wrong, i love my ipad "more than any pig.........blackadder quote, sorry"......BUT. I would never dream of using it instead of my camera if I was PLANNING on taking a pic. They are not the most "trip friendly" piece of kit....but what do I know

If my memory serves me correctly this is pretty much the same conclusions that we have come to on the forum several years ago using basic common sense and electrical science, without the need to any formal tests or trials. Interesting link though.

Doc H.
opinions varied, but there's nothing like actual testing at someone elses' expense to conclude the argument.

Surely it uses more current?
depends on the load. if its resistive (heating elements etc) then it will use less current, but take longer to heat the water etc. switch load will use more

v phase etc cant power a shower due to high load, but you may aswell replace the 9.5 with an 8.5 and save power that way. but the shower will be colder / less flow

What was wrong with the 7.0kW you used to have....?

]:)Energy saving shower.....

http://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/Easy-Camp-Solar-Shower/m-4567.aspx?gclid=CInGwOa8jr8CFW_LtAodXR0AKQ

:innocent

Canoeboy said:
I go camping a lot and like roughing it ***cough***

For showering for a couple of weeks - i have done a site with those 

Its aint good to be honest especially when its running cold  :yellow card
Mmmmmmm....F similar to what i had recently, but in a different colour...................

Just......in the past now

Mmmmmmm....F similar to what i had recently, but in a different colour...................

Just......in the past now
Yours had a shower head attached? 
default_God%20no.gif

would have thought jumping in a river would be less dissappointing in the UK. Could imagine a solar shower, ie black palstic bag of water might work in the mediterranean....

OK Guys,please ask yourself the credentials of an article that states a house pfc unit as a voltage optimiser (item 1) any engineer will know that reactive power is not charged for at a domestic level.

Onto V-Phase, this unit was good for a standard running load of 8 amps (VX 1), technology has moved on somewhat since those days, you can now buy Voltage Optimisers that cater for a whole house not just a lighting circuit.

Voltage Optimisers are sold not only for their energy savings but also for their appliance protection, have any of you wondered why your mobile phone chargers get really hot (especially on a night time) is it coincidental that as current draw from the grid drops off on a night time that your voltages rise?

As micro-generation increases, so will the localised grid voltages, as of March 2014 G83-2 inverter upper voltage limits are set at 262 v, what will this do for a house on the same connection point (phase) that has a few PV Systems in the same street?

I have asked a few questions as above that the answers are well known amongst energy companies and engineers and would like your thoughts please for an educated debate.

Maybe this is a product Electricians can promote as a revenue stream for Electrical Safety as well as energy savings! now there's a thought guys.

in theory grid voltage should still never rise above 253 volts, but the protection of equipment is a known argument, and one that makes sense.

Could you enlighten us a bit about the well known answers?

if you get chance to have a look at the electricians guide to the 17th edition by John Whitfield I think, it gives you a few worked examples of 230v equipment on a 240v supply, also an explanation on our grid voltages remaining high in the UK, its on about pager 7 I think

Our grid voltages are still 240V because while we took the harmonised figure we didnt bother to change anything as our supply still fell between -6%+10%..load of EU bill hooks

Last edited by a moderator: