G83-2 Settings And Voltage Optimisation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt hunt

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just noticed that a certain Voltage Optimisation  Manufacturer is saying that you can feed a PV system via an Optimised circuit as it is a 2 way transformer (which it is),

My question is this: IF the Inverter is set at 262 volts for cut out under G83-2, and is fed from an optimised circuit of say -20 volts, then the inverter would carry on exporting all the way to 280v plus on the grid, SURELY THIS IS NOT ALLOWED BY THE DNOs?

As a VO fan myself, your opinions would be welcome.

what the inverter will output depends on grid voltage, and if your VO unit is set for -20V and you are back-feeding through it, then it will be lower than grid voltage by around 18V

I'm not disputing your post Binky, but if you are FEEDING an inverter then it must be faulty surely, as they are a generation source, so they should be feeding the grid as it were, not being fed by the grid?...

The point is is that if you feed the inverter at a reduced voltage of say -20v then the inverter will still export onto the grid all the way up to 282v as its being fooled by the transformer, I don't think the ENA would like this concept :)

so why propose VO as a way of limiting grid voltage outputs as per your previous postings then?

If the grid was ever running that high, total chaos would ensue as peoples appliances went bang and start smoking :^O

The point is is that if you feed the inverter at a reduced voltage of say -20v then the inverter will still export onto the grid all the way up to 282v as its being fooled by the transformer, I don't think the ENA would like this concept :)
Well, I`m going to answer - sort of.

Don`t be so bloody soft. If you`ve reduced the voltage the inverter "sees" ( you`re NOT F`in feeding it!!!!), then it`ll output relative to the grid voltage it can see - it doesn`t KNOW there`s a bag of snake oil voltage optimising device trying to fool it - it isn`t sentient.

Are you seriously thinking that an inverter could / would:

a: deliver that voltage - if you WERE correct ( which you`re not) then snake oil v.o. units would be banned.

b. Even if it could - it`s not going to lift the grid voltage by 30+ volts; unless its the size of a small factory - in which case it`d be feeding straight into the 11 or 33 KV lines, via its own TX - at which point your meanderings on G83 are null & void anyway. 

KME, I will try and explain it in simple terms that you may understand, (although I doubt it)

If an inverter is connected to the grid and the grid voltage is above CENELEC limits then under normal circumstances the inverter would stop exporting, if it is connected via an optimised circuit then it would keep exporting as it would not know what the real grid voltage is.

Do you understand the question or shall I get one of my apprentices (time served) to talk on the same level for you?

The inverter sees what it sees, a transformer will buck and boost by the same amount, get your head out your axx and start thinking logically and stop making silly personalised comments about a technology you clearly know nothing about.

Binky, we do not reduce grid voltage as we are not a DNO, we only reduce voltage into a premise to stop things going bang, (as you put it)

KME, I will try and explain it in simple terms that you may understand, (although I doubt it)

If an inverter is connected to the grid and the grid voltage is above CENELEC limits then under normal circumstances the inverter would stop exporting, if it is connected via an optimised circuit then it would keep exporting as it would not know what the real grid voltage is.

Do you understand the question or shall I get one of my apprentices (time served) to talk on the same level for you?

The inverter sees what it sees, a transformer will buck and boost by the same amount, get your head out your axx and start thinking logically and stop making silly personalised comments about a technology you clearly know nothing about.

Binky, we do not reduce grid voltage as we are not a DNO, we only reduce voltage into a premise to stop things going bang, (as you put it)
Ooh.

That`s put me in MY place, then.

I must humbly apologise for being such an ignorant pleb, in the face of such greatness.........

Obviously, your superior intellect outstrips everyone else - as I seem to be the lone voice of discord..............................................

Hang on.

Thought so.

Having just re-read the whole thread - and your "other one" - it seems like we`re ALL ignorant plebs, who use different rules of physics to you.

And you STILL haven`t responded to the specific technical questions that were asked of you - but that is obviously because you didn`t have a babe-in-arms available to translate for us. 

However - that aside:

Now this is me being thick again ( obviously) - but...."understand the question"? I don`t SEE a question in the above.

"It would not know the real grid voltage"....no; because it isn`t sentient. stuffing a good old fashioned auto transformer in line would give the same result. What is you point? or is it beneath you to respond?

As for the rest of your post.

If this is your typical attitude; I`m surprised that anyone would work with you. You are fairly new here; so let me put you straight on one or two things; if you can follow such lowly musings:

1. This forum is tolerant of many posting styles; however personal comments regarding other members ( longer standing or not) are generally frowned upon - call that a friendly warning.

2. You do not know me, or anything about me other than the things you glean from my post - likewise, I`m in the same position. We all think we have an idea what another member is like....until we meet them. 

3. Given the tone of your previous comments; I will be doing two things. Reporting your post to the forum moderation team; and ignoring any further posts from you  - as a number of my colleagues seem to do as well - I can`t think why - perhaps its your attitude? 

KME it was you who was being silly with your crossing out of words and your stupid unfounded snake oil salesmen accusations so get over yourself and your big ego!

Go back to basics then, if a grid voltage is 265v at a given time (don't harp on about it wouldn't get there as it can and it does on occasions), now if that inverter is connected to an optimised circuit will it cut out or will it keep exporting? Simple question?

what do you mean by optimised?

do you mean you have reduced the voltage to 220v? which is 20v below the optimal voltage my bench grinder works at.

No, if the grid voltage is 265v then the inverter will see 245v and keep exporting is what I am suggesting

mr hunt

following a report of a post

mr smith has looked through the thread

although no action will be taken at this time

your post number 11

does sail close to the wind

with respect to the forum terms and conditions

mr smith

Its not my device!
so who's device is it?

what are the specs of it?

simply dropping the voltage by 20v will in fact in most probability cause a lot, a LOT of damage to a lot of domestic electrical products,

lets not even think about commercial or industrial products

No, if the grid voltage is 265v then the inverter will see 245v and keep exporting is what I am suggesting
and what happens if the grid voltage falls to 225v ?

Thankyou Mr Smith, do you not think and I quote "dont be so bloody soft and fin feeding it" justified the response it got, from the previous post?

mr hunt

with all due respect

I do not believe your comments were warranted

mr kme appeared to be echoing the pedantic replies from yourself

although

as a non electrically technical bod

mr smith does find this thread

mildly confusing

mr smith

Status
Not open for further replies.