RCD test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcyB

Reaction score
Hi all

Just doing an RCD auto test using a metrel 61557. When it starts the test it flashes up "PE". I have disconnected all appliances I can find. It still happens. I can't find anything to help in the manual. Has anyone had this before, and tell me what the problem is?

Thanks

Malc

I was doing the test with the plug in adaptor. Connect to tester, set to, RCD Auto, plug into socket. Should't go wrong!!

Just checked the socket with plug in skt tester, showing no earth. Checked behind, found a black & white cable and an earth wire. So now got to find out what & where the problem is. Thanks for the help andyc.

did u get a Zs at the socket before the RCD test?surely the tester would have picked this up as it should test polarity when doing the Zs test.

the PE on the metrel is usually reversed polarity.

and as above the r1/r2 should picked this up on the dead test.

maybe he was called to check out a non-tripping (by test button) RCD, plugged his tester in to test it and got the error then discovered the wiring is not right

No I had just installed a shower fan. I had done all the tests on the bit I had worked on, which were fine. I had to test the RCD worked for the MWC. So used the socket to get the readings. That's when I found the problem with the socket.

No I had just installed a shower fan. I had done all the tests on the bit I had worked on, which were fine. I had to test the RCD worked for the MWC. So used the socket to get the readings. That's when I found the problem with the socket.
wouldn't a bog standard socket tester be the first thing to try?

They had had a board change a few years ago so I assumed everything was ok. (I know never assume!!!)

But I had never seen this come up on my meter before, so that threw me.

They had had a board change a few years ago so I assumed everything was ok. (I know never assume!!!)But I had never seen this come up on my meter before, so that threw me.
NO..

The golden rule is ALWAYS assume..

Assume the following are always true at every job you work at.

1/ Previous work was carried out by a blind man.

2/ The blind man only knew how to use a hammer.

3/ Every single circuit and accessory was altered last week.

4/ Nobody has used a working test meter on any part of the installation over the past 10 years.

5/ No cable calculation have ever been done for any circuit.

6/ The installation has an infestation of mice & rats what love the cable taste.

Then proceed with caution to start your work.! ; \ ;)