Do We Need To Register As Part P?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spot light

Reaction score
My company are already registered with the NICEIC. We do not do domestic work at all only commercial and industrial. If I wanted to work on my own property or one of my staff had a family member required I guess domestic house hold work as a freebie or paid through the company do we need to register part P?

Thanks

If you check the NICEIC register you'll see if your company is Part P approved or not.... IIRC as an approved contractor you only need to ask for the addition and they'll add it to your registration.... You might have to wait until your next assessment though...plus you'll need the part p doc

Hello

Thank you very much, no I checked just now we do not have anything part p just approved NICEIC contractor. I would not imagine we would ever have been included. So from what you’re saying although we do not actively work in domestic should we want to undertake small works for family and friends then a simple notification to our account holder at the NICEIC would be in order?

Thank you for your help

If I were you I'd give them a ring before you even consider doing any "official" part p work... I'm an AC and have Part P status,, I just had to ask on my application form! it doesn't cost any extra so you may as well have it... you'll just have to register an account on their online notification site

Great Help thank you! Hope it’s just a notification we would not want house holders ringing us up! Some of our spot lights and even sound systems we use will consume the entire house power!

Great for other readers to know that even if you are approved NICEIC contractors even if you want to undertake domestic work for family and friends even if it’s not the companies or your own core income it is still requires registration.

Kindest of Regards thank you

What everyone should remember is that Part P is a building regulation and applies only to domestic properties. I love seeing those Part P stickers "Part P approved"

I am going to get some Part A Part B Part C part D and so on approved stickers done.

Unfortunately even though you are an Approved Contractor you still need to be registered under Part P to do any domestic work.However I think you may find that you are over qualified to do the work.

What everyone should remember is that Part P is a building regulation and applies only to domestic properties. I love seeing those Part P stickers "Part P approved"

I am going to get some Part A Part B Part C part D and so on approved stickers done.

Unfortunately even though you are an Approved Contractor you still need to be registered under Part P to do any domestic work.However I think you may find that you are over qualified to do the work.
Thank you very much so what you are saying is any intention of working in a house would fall short of our usual scope. Dame! Does this mean an MEM 3 panel and MICC installation with some galv pipe thrown in be out of the question for my Gradads house!!! I dont like twin and earth!!!! Thank you your entirely right however possibly worth my staff and I checking through regs before assuming we know house hold regs. I wont get the stickers though!

There is a way out, if the building is under general building control Part P will come under the umbrella of overall building inspections.

I am not Part P but have done commercial work where Part P has applied because of flats or domestic quarters attached to the building. The building control have just asked for my qualifications, and signed off the works after receiving the certificates.

as above, you don't have to be Part P registered, you can notify building control direct. Fees vary from £50 to firk knows! The registration is only so you can notify via NICEICs online portal to building control, thereby saving time, hassle and money. If you do more than few domestic jobs a year it's worth the extra money, but from memory AC would give DI be default - I'm not sure about that because I was DI and converted to AC and registration for part P came with it. But I would seriously doubt NICEIC would quibble adding DI status to your current registration with them. Personally I think they should stop having multiple standards and register people as quailifed or not!

Spot ights and sound systems, sounds like interesting work.

Thanks to all I will get our QS to check the account and sign up PP. Might enjoy working in someones house Im sure their is more of a chance of a cup of tea!

Do entirely agree with Maneater your either qualified or not. Good programme the other week on BBC1 about electrics in the home hopfully general public took notice.