Germany To Close 49 Power Stations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
   [SIZE=10pt]31.07.2014: German energy providers will completely or partially disconnect 49 conventional power plants from Germany’s grid due to the large amount of solar and wind power capacity added to the Germany grid in recent years, reports local news portal T-Online, which cites a document from the German Federal Network Agency listing the 49 conventional power plants. These plants will be disconnected from the electricity system because injection priority is given to renewable energy power plants, which has made the 49 conventional power plants unprofitable, says local energy provider RWE. © PHOTON[/SIZE]

the man's a twot - typical gutter press sensationalist writting from the Torygraph. Notice the choice of words -' battle', 'green fanatasists' ' rabid greenie' 'disaster' etc etc. What he has complete forgotten to mention is that Germany is already engineering energy storage and output control (for large commercial and solar farm) systems to overcome the 'wildly fluctuating' power output of green tech, a well known issue - hence SMA are launching an inverter with battery storage later this year for domestic market. Quite sensibly they are also building very clean to run coal power stations having decided totally against nuclear - biggest problem with coal is that most of the power stations are ancient, and carbon capture technolgy isn't quite viable cost wise, until someone gets on and does it like all new tech. The great thing about Germany, is they will spend thier money developing and proving these systems long before it becomes an issue for us...

This prat is even in denial of global warming ffs

piss poor, biased, in denail, and negative writing from a paper that claims to be up-market, and no doubt because he's a NIMBY and doesn't want a wind turbine in his countryside view.

also has to be said , they are building replacement power stations, whilst we are still thinking about the lights going off and managing that disaster... Actually got a quote to do for a customer who wants to be able to plug his own gennie into his house for when the lights go off

Last edited by a moderator:
This prat is even in denial of global warming ffs
I'm a reasonably well educated scientist and I don't believe in global warming as a man made effect.

The fossil evidence shows this little island of ours has been covered in meters of solid ice and hot enough to grow tropical plants.

I suspect a lot of this is media spin. Sorry.

(Nuclear or nothing if you want the lights to work in 30 years)

But you can't deny the weather is changing Apache, man made or not, the planet is warming up and that is generally regarded as scientific fact by all but a few......

You can argue till the cows come home what is causing it :slap   (bad pun intended)

I happen to believe (and is scientifically proven) man is adding 'fuel to the fire' and altering the natural cycle of things, you obviously believe different. The 'man affect' is to artificially move a natural slow system rapidly, not allowing people, plants or animals to adapt as they would do under 'normal conditions', this is where the 'disaster syndrome kicks in, though media spin always 'inflates the truth' - never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

As for tropics to ice age, we have also suffered from much continetal drift and have at times been on the equator. At this latitude we should be firkin cold, but we are warmed by the sea and tropical waters preventing the -40 deg 20ft of snow that Canada gets. Either way, you can't deny that 10 billion people are doing something to the planet, and it has to be said it might benefit some areas as well as be detrimental to others

According to weather patterns, determined from ice core samples, we should currently ( or fairly damn soon) be heading very gently towards the start of a mini-ice age, so the fact that the planet is still warming up also says something about the effects of mans behaviuor.

Last edited by a moderator:
But you can't deny the weather is changing Apache, man made or not, the planet is warming up and that is generally regarded as scientific fact by all but a few......
the weather is changing (i doubt anyone can deny that), but i doubt it is purely man made. probably has something to do with it, but not to the extreme some will try and tell you

its well known that most of the world was covered in ice... was man around building power stations all over, burning millions of CO2 and melting all that ice?

ice age was cuased by volcanic activity as I understand it, or was it melted by volcanic activity - been a long time since I watched that programme.

Extremists exist every where and in all walks of life. Having watched many a scientific and many psuedo scientific programme about climate change, I am in no doubt that man is affecting the climate - the way we burn fossil fuels / farm / generally exist and live, it would be very strange if we wern't causing climate change. I also studied an Environmental Science unit for part of my MSc course  - like most people I was pretty doubtful about the issue before that, and more interested in stopping pollution, general destructive activities that human beings are pretty good at, but the course presented a lot of facts and figures, and a lot of potential scenarios that may result from climate change which were pretty convincing and well argued and researched. A lot of reserach has been done over the intervening 16 odd years, and computer modelling has vastly improved along with our undestanding of the weather and interlocking weather patterns / CO2 levels / volcanic activity / sun-spot activity / ocean tempreatures / flow of the gulf stream / flow and stength of the jet stream etc etc etc. DOOM forecasts have consequently diminished (some of which was clear proganda to get attention) but the consensus that man is causing issues has also vastly increased with the improved science - hence less debate about IF the world is changing, far more about what / where / and how much.

Hence anyone in total denial of climate change like the above article writer is a knob! (I always like to end on a well reasoned point :slap )

It amazes me how many people live in denial!? How can the human have no effect on global warming ( environment around them), let's look at this on a smaller scale. Put one person in an enclosed room and they could probably exist for a substantial length of time. Start increasing the number of people the atmosphere will change, as more of the oxygen is consumed and more harmful gases are released into the air the shorter the period the number of people will last, the room temperature will increase so increasing the speed of change in the environment ?? So why should that be different on a larger scale?

Interesting point Sharpend.

How much of the CO2 that is "causing" mmgw comes from us burning fuel, and how much of it comes from us (and all our farm animals to support us) actually just breathing?

I have long since thought the real "problem" is there are simply too many humans on the planet, but that's a topic nobody will even talk about, let alone put a plan in place to manage future population growth.

If we all half our emissions but then there are twice as many of us, then the CO2 issue has not been solved.

Precisely Sharpend - now light a small fire in that room aswell to simulate burning fossil fuels.......

Oddly enough I weather programme I was watching the other day (I really must get a life) was suggesting that now the atmosphere is far cleaner than it was, allowing more sunshine to strike the earth and the sea, in conjunction with a warming planet, we may get bigger weather systems, ie more extreme weather especially as surface sea temperatures rise. So at the moment we could do with some atmospheric dust, like a large volcano going off, to help mitigate the effects of mankind whilst we drop the fossil fuel burning.

Interesting point Sharpend.

How much of the CO2 that is "causing" mmgw comes from us burning fuel, and how much of it comes from us (and all our farm animals to support us) actually just breathing?

I have long since thought the real "problem" is there are simply too many humans on the planet, but that's a topic nobody will even talk about, let alone put a plan in place to manage future population growth.

If we all half our emissions but then there are twice as many of us, then the CO2 issue has not been solved.

ultimately this is the biggest problem of the lot - too many people. Only 3 things can really sort that out contraception in the 'third world' and the empowerment of women, pandemic disease outbreak, or WW3.

The trouble with pandemic diseases, we are getting too clever at beating or controlling them.

The trouble with limiting population rise, is the west has an economic system that only "works" if there is continuous growth. e.g if there is no growth, then there won't be enough people paying in to pay our pensions etc.

That only leaves one "solution" and that is not appealing.

and there in lies the problem....nobody wants WW3 apart from mad muslim elements.

Capitalist consumerism - drives the world to boom, bust and buying shite we don't need to keep the economy growing. It is ultimately a flawed system, trying to change though....

I'm a reasonably well educated scientist and I don't believe in global warming as a man made effect.

The fossil evidence shows this little island of ours has been covered in meters of solid ice and hot enough to grow tropical plants.

I suspect a lot of this is media spin. Sorry.

(Nuclear or nothing if you want the lights to work in 30 years)
I agree totally.

what about volcanos  (island) kicking out more CO2 than the human population in a hundred years.

I agree totally.

what about volcanos (island) kicking out more CO2 than the human population in a hundred years.
You're quite right they're are many natural occurrences that will cause changes to the planet, but we are talking about the man made influences that add to the rate of change, whilst individually the man made influences may be small add them together and it can be quite significant.

which is exactly what Apache and many others don't believe in - however, final argument time!

Knowing how hard it is to get any government to do anything, let alone the EU, and many other governments from around the world, doesn't that point out to our 'denyers' how strong the scientific evidence must be, that mankind is causing problems. It's not a vote winner to tell the public not to drive big cars, they will have wind turbines in their view, you can't go fishing every day, we need to spend millions on green tech that could be spent buying votes etc etc - to convince politiicans to do that, the evidence must be overwhelming :slap :slap :slap :slap

Latest posts