Scam No - 016077399799

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The elderly in laws just received an aggressive and very threatening phone call from the number 016077399799. Father in law answered the phone to be told that a computer at his address (he doesn't have one) had been used in "criminal activity". Father in law put the phone down.

They rang back, this time the mother in law (who's bat sh!t crazy anyway) answered to be told again very aggressively that her husband had just put the phone down, that the caller was from "the government", this was a very serious matter etc etc. Something mentioned about getting them to "log on" - I guess so they can remote access your PC. She put the phone down and they've not called back but the pair of them are in a right state. Of course they then called us in a panic. On the plus side the wife's over there now.

So much for a relaxing evening with a couple of tinnies, although the missus did take the youngest with her so it's just me an Mr Fosters! :lol:

Wife's come back with the father in law in tow. He's after the ".....police non emergency number" as he's now worried he has a criminal record! You couldn't write this stuff. He came to the wrong bloke in me, it went something on the lines of:

"Bill, it's a scam plain and simple. You're going to worry about it because you're a worrier! Now, you can worry about it and ****** our night up some more or not?"

Sympathetic enough or not?

Then FFS, as I'm typing this the mother in law rings; "Is Bill still there? The cat's caught a mouse and it's gone in a bag of rubbish?".

So' I've sent him home to sort Tom & Jerry, honest to God if I was married to her I'd have built a patio years ago! Top Tip: Don't live near to elderly relatives!

Guinness

I am a git for trying to turn the tables on these Indian sounding callers. My latest is to start my own conversation ordering off the curry house menu..........."And if I can change the pilau to a mushroom rice please!"............"Actually, while I'm on can I book a table for eleven for Saturday?".

Made a slight faux pas a while back when it was actually my elderly Mum's mental health nurse phoning (she is actually certified whereas the mother in law should be). It started with me giving it "Brenda? Are you sure? That's not an Indian name is it?" My missus was mortified. 

Father in law gets a call today, English sounding bloke "This is the police calling, your credit card has been used etc...................". Went on to say "If you don't believe me you can ring 999 and ask!".

Needless to say 84 year old in another panic!

Yep

Exactly what Noz just said

Caller does not hang up

Line is held open fro two minutes

Parents ring back without waiting for dial ton

Twat at other says......"police how can i help you......"

They HAVE dialled 999 so it MUST be the Police.....so they tell them all their details

Unfortunately it has become F common in the last six months

Yep, that's what we've told him. Best bit is he hasn't got a credit only debit card.  Seems the "policeman, DC Robson" said his card had been used fraudulently in Oxford St for over a £1000. Got as far as he had him go and check that his cards were still where he keeps them etc.

He's just over now and the wife's phoning his bank. They have spoken to him and reassured him etc. 

Interestingly he had a phone call from "the police" earlier in the day saying he had been in an accident. He said he hadn't and put the phone down.

I reckon the first phone call sowed the seeds of panic and the second played on that. These scammers know that the older generations have more respect for the police I guess so if they say they're a policeman they must be!

There was a thing on the BBC this morning about scammers and their lists, they try calling or sending post to people and if they get a response the victims get put on a list that is handed around other scammers :(

Really hate these low lives!

I rarely answer the landline these days so when I play the messages it's usually swearing and hanging up :slap

IMHO... Get them to phone their phone supplier and get them to screen their calls or change their number to an ex-directory one

It sounds like your parents number has got on a "list"
They ARE ex-directory! As are we, doesn't stop the nuisance calls even though we're on the telephone preference list etc. Complete farce tbh.