Electrician Asked For 3-Pin Plug For Induction Hob?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pegasan17

Reaction score
Hi,

We are having new appliances fitted and
the electrician/kitchen fitter is asking
me to buy a plug to fit on the induction hob
which did not come with a plug and has a
total load of 7.2kW.

Is this the correct way to connect the hob ?

Kitchen fitter and Electrician do not normally occur in the same sentence, except to say he is usually not both.

Even if he DID need a plug, surely he could supply that?

This is on a par with the one I had to go to a couple of weeks ago. New induction hob would only stay on for about 30 seconds.  It was connected to the 6A MCB that had previously just supplied the ignitor for the old gas hob that had just been taken out.

plug for a 7kw hob now thats cheered me up no end :slap :slap :slap :slap  lets watch what happens when the plug top melts and the
default_Hits%20the%20fan.gif

You could always fit a 32A commando plug and let him fit the correctly fed matching socket.

He did after all just ask for a "3 pin plug" which those are. Ne didn't ask for a 3 pin 13A plug, that would just be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
7.2kW equates to around 31 amps, plug tops usually rated at 13 amps

As a little aside here, Id say 7.2kW is quite high for an induction hob, but ill be honest I haven't fitted that many of them. Whats the experience of the members here?

Hi,

total load of 7.2kW.

Welcome to the forum, I would suggest you read the manufactures installation instruction. There will normally be a section about electrical connections, I very much doubt it asks for a 13A 3pin plug/socket connection. I would also strongly recommend you get a qualified electrician to come and test any work this kitchen fitter has done. Kitchens are one area of a home that use more higher power appliances, as such the wiring has to be correctly designed and installed to ensure safe operation. If you have just spent a lot of money having a kitchen replaced, the last thing you want is cables, joints or accessories overheating or melting due to overloading of the cables.

Doc H.  

7.2kW equates to around 31 amps, plug tops usually rated at 13 amps

As a little aside here, Id say 7.2kW is quite high for an induction hob, but ill be honest I haven't fitted that many of them. Whats the experience of the members here?
I took a chance on an "unknown" Elecheib induction hob (Israeli company but made in Turkey) when Comet was closing down. Was £399 and I got it for £170. 7.3kW btw. Not sure the guarantee will still stand! Says "clearly" in the badly worded Chinglish manual to "use 3x2.5mm cable"........maybe they had applied diversity? Been as good as gold tbh. I wired using 4mm HO7 heat resistant but a bit of a squeeze to get in. Even the instructions there were iffy saying to use H05.

Used this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA4TQ3slash50.html

Hi all, I did have a BOSCH induction Hob to connect a couple of weeks ago that surprised me as it came with a 13 Amp Plug top fitted.

Hi all, I did have a BOSCH induction Hob to connect a couple of weeks ago that surprised me as it came with a 13 Amp Plug top fitted.
I had heard that the better quality hobs came with a pre-wired cable admittedly but a plug top???

What was the hob rating?

Hi,

total load of 7.2kW.

Have you looked at the manual???

Had a few customers who put 13a plugs on a 8kw+ cookers....

"It keeps blowing fuses...."

"Not surprised its about 5000w over the rating!"

"But the guy changing the meter said it'd be fine"

"What meter was he changing????"

"the gas meter"

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.