Bs7671 2015 Paper Vs Digital

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a recent discussion has made me think about what to choose when the yellow book descends upon us.

I'm not sure I like the way the IET administer the digital subscription service, I thought It was a pdf you could access, make notes etc and once you've bought it you can use it forever but you have to pay for future updates. It appears that this is not the case and if you don't renew your subscription you cannot access the ebook you have purchased.

They aren't exactly clear on the IET website which stinks IMO so I think I'll have to buy it all on paper again!

But I am still not sure?

Please add you thoughts and comments :)

On Amazon the Green Version is £61.67, OSG £21.67, GN3 £24 ( £107.34 )

Not sure of the Digital pricing structure as yet ???

Last edited by a moderator:
The buffoons at the IET need to bring this unnecessarily updating of BS7671 to an end.

Sure the regs need may need revision very 5 years but more often than that is OTT.

What they should be doing is getting the Plain English Society involved to help reword so there are fewer areas of ambiguity.

I have a 3 year Subscription, which includes all updates and amendments,you download to 3 devices which you can access any time you want.

Once downloaded you have it on your devices, you can also access on-line if you are not at one of your devices.

I like it, the search function across the whole range all Guidance Notes, On Site Guides, BS7671 and others, giving you hits relating to your search is very helpful.

If you are Vat registered its £243.75 if not  + Vat.

That's for 3 years includes all updates and amendments.

The reason I took it was because I kept losing track of what was the latest issue and being told on assessment that's the old issue etc.

I currently have the digital package for the BGB, have had it for a few years now.

These books I will keep access to, I've already checked.

I will get the new subscription set up.

I don't like the scenario, but I don't intend going back to paper now, it's just too much hassle.

I have made my feelings VERY clear to the IET, and as a member they have a duty to take this into account, after all, I pay their wages in my membership fees!

Any other IET members who are unhappy with the subscription situation, then I suggest you tell them so.

I have a 3 year Subscription, which includes all updates and amendments,you download to 3 devices which you can access any time you want.

Once downloaded you have it on your devices, you can also access on-line if you are not at one of your devices.

I like it, the search function across the whole range all Guidance Notes, On Site Guides, BS7671 and others, giving you hits relating to your search is very helpful.

If you are Vat registered its £243.75 if not  + Vat.

That's for 3 years includes all updates and amendments.

The reason I took it was because I kept losing track of what was the latest issue and being told on assessment that's the old issue etc.
As you know, i am F. Easily confused....

Soooooo. Does the £243.75 Include 7671, all the GNs and the OSG? And all updates to these as well?

If so, then for that sort of money, it is not that expensive

Here is a list of the available packages from the iet.

Bronze package

Contains BS 7671, the On-Site Guide and Guidance Notes 1 and 3.

Contact us now >

Silver package

Contains BS 7671, the On-Site Guide, all Guidance Notes (1 – 8), the Electrician’s Guide to the Building Regulations and the Electrical Installation Design Guide.

Contact us now >

Gold package

Contains the complete suite of expert IET electrical guidance, ideal for multiple users in large organisations.

Find out more >

But they don't say what price they are :(

Thanks canoeboy for editing the poll to include existing subscribers.

My package has 14 titles.

BS7671

Guidance Notes 1-8

On Site Guide

Electrical Installation Design Guide (Calculations for Electricians and Designers, universal)

Electrical Installation Design Guide 2nd Edition

Electricians Guide to Building Regulations, universal 2nd Edition

Electricians Guide to Building Regulations 3rd Edition 

£243.75 + Vat (or not if vat registered)

My package has 14 titles.

BS7671

Guidance Notes 1-8

On Site Guide

Electrical Installation Design Guide (Calculations for Electricians and Designers, universal)

Electrical Installation Design Guide 2nd Edition

Electricians Guide to Building Regulations, universal 2nd Edition

Electricians Guide to Building Regulations 3rd Edition 

£243.75 + Vat (or not if vat registered)
Interesting....

I wonder if it is worth taking out that subscription just before Jan 1st?

That way i would get ALL. The current stuff in digital format. AND then get the new stuff as well ....or am i missing something really obvious?

Steve's package is £300 Inc vat could be worthwhile if your going to do it before Jan 15 but when will they bring out another amendment??? Who knows?? Is it likely to be in the next 3 years? it's a bit of a gamble.

You do get ALL the GN's though...

Still confused :C

Steve's package is £300 Inc vat could be worthwhile if your going to do it before Jan 15 but when will they bring out another amendment??? Who knows?? Is it likely to be in the next 3 years? it's a bit of a gamble.

You do get ALL the GN's though...

Still confused :C
Next version?......... 3 years and a day from when the subscription starts!

I'm considering moving over to digital format as I often need the book & GN's at work now....................finding I've left them at home is a pain in the arse.