Solar Amp Clamp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening guys and girls.

Can anybody recommend a 'reasonable' DC amp clamp for testing solar pv?

Was hoping for about 80 quid but I may be able to stretch to 100. PM'd megger mark earlier in the week but he must be away or very busy as had no reply.

How important would you say 1000v capability is? Only ever been on one job that was >600.

Cheers

very few strings exceed 600V except on solar farms

I've got a fancy solar multitester, but anything by a decent brand like fluke will do

Last edited by a moderator:
ive got a tenma, had it for a while now, I originally bought it to measure DC on race bikes,  :D

was very happy it was also useful for work, it cost me IIRC IRO 30-40£

OK, after a bit of info from MeggerMark I'm stuck between

http://isswww.co.uk/clampmeters/acdc-digital-trms-clampmeters/amprobe-acdc-100-clamp-on-meter

and

http://isswww.co.uk/clampmeters/acdc-digital-trms-clampmeters/dilog-dl6402-1000a-acdc-digital-clamp-meter

Not particularly fond of the style on the Amprobe but it's not a fashion show.

So,

1) are both suitable,

2) would you choose one over the other.

I would prefer one of these over the mini clamps as these do touch DC voltage too. So will only need the one device.

Thanks

Dilog DL6506

hmmmm, ****** knows then. I don't like to keep badgering MM for prices. Especially for such a low prices purchase. Are they better resolution wise? or both capable of the same reading?

[SIZE=10.5pt]Not related to solar as I can’t be bothered to get involved![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]For me, I may well go for the DL6506, I have been toying with a mA dc clamp meter for a while, could have made use of it on quite a few jobs over the last few years, I had never looked into it before now.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I have an ac/dc clamp meter for larger currents, the Fluke 337, which I think is now obsolete & replaced by something else?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The only thing that concerns me with the cheaper instruments is the accuracy, take the DL6506, resolution 1mA, accuracy +/-3% not too bad, at a current of 2mA that comes out in @ +/- 60 micro amps, so a difference of one digit perhaps, (but doubtful), so a true 2 mA would probably read 2mA, so OK.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The killer for my mind is the +/- 8 digits on top of this again, so your true current of 2mA could be displayed as anything between -6 (indicating a reversal of current flow) & 10 mA, now that's an order of magnitude![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Now to step up to a meter such as the Amprobe LH41A, this is +/-1.3% +5 digits, the % error will again give a negligible change to the reading, but this time the error is only in the +ve direction so, your true 2mA could read between 2 & 7mA.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]However to get this increase in accuracy you are going from(based on isswww.co.uk pricing) £67.95 up to £199.95![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Nearly triple the price.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Now the DL6507, has a much better accuracy than the 6506, but only ac, I have this meter, which is fine for earth leakage current on installation circuits.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]It’s just that the dc circuits, might need a greater accuracy, but I'm not talking about 4-20mA signal stuff though.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I've attached the spec sheets so you can see what I am on about for these three and also the two that you were looking at.[/SIZE]

LH41A.pdf

DL6507 Spec Sheet.pdf

DL6506 Specification Sheet.pdf

DL6401 Specification Sheet.pdf

ACDC100.pdf

Attachments

• LH41A.pdf
    213.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DL6507 Spec Sheet.pdf
    595.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DL6506 Specification Sheet.pdf
    758 KB · Views: 2
  • DL6401 Specification Sheet.pdf
    884.4 KB · Views: 2
  • ACDC100.pdf
    309.3 KB · Views: 2
[SIZE=10.5pt]Not related to solar as I can’t be bothered to get involved![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]For me, I may well go for the DL6506, I have been toying with a mA dc clamp meter for a while, could have made use of it on quite a few jobs over the last few years, I had never looked into it before now.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I have an ac/dc clamp meter for larger currents, the Fluke 337, which I think is now obsolete & replaced by something else?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The only thing that concerns me with the cheaper instruments is the accuracy, take the DL6506, resolution 1mA, accuracy +/-3% not too bad, at a current of 2mA that comes out in @ +/- 60 micro amps, so a difference of one digit perhaps, (but doubtful), so a true 2 mA would probably read 2mA, so OK.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The killer for my mind is the +/- 8 digits on top of this again, so your true current of 2mA could be displayed as anything between -6 (indicating a reversal of current flow) & 10 mA, now that's an order of magnitude![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Now to step up to a meter such as the Amprobe LH41A, this is +/-1.3% +5 digits, the % error will again give a negligible change to the reading, but this time the error is only in the +ve direction so, your true 2mA could read between 2 & 7mA.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]However to get this increase in accuracy you are going from(based on isswww.co.uk pricing) £67.95 up to £199.95![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Nearly triple the price.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Now the DL6507, has a much better accuracy than the 6506, but only ac, I have this meter, which is fine for earth leakage current on installation circuits.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]It’s just that the dc circuits, might need a greater accuracy, but I'm not talking about 4-20mA signal stuff though.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I've attached the spec sheets so you can see what I am on about for these three and also the two that you were looking at.[/SIZE]

So what you saying :C

I simply cannot afford those sort of prices I have 100 quid max all in. And given the fact tha some installers on the course I have been on don't even use a meter (just rely on the inverter MPP readings) I think I can deal with the lesser device.

I like the look of this kit

http://isswww.co.uk/solar-panel-testing/solar-irradiance-tester/megger-pvk330-photovoltaic-kit

but again out of my range, Will simply have to get what I can when I can.

Will have to make my own MC4 leads up to get by. <_<

The ACDC100 does seem to have better accuracy than the DL6401 so it may be that one for me

Just buy the most accurate one you can afford TBH.

My post was more aimed at raising the awareness of why the meters are at a lower cost, and some of the pitfalls.

As far as build quality goes, IMHO, there is no difference between the Amprobe & the Dliog & I would be happy with the design and build of either, within the limits of their accuracy.

MC4 leads......?

I have one short MC4 male-male ( used to gender change if needed) ; and a rotary iso with a male and a female on. So I can make / break the Isc under load, if necessary ;)

Nowt else. Voltage reading - the probe is inserted into the tube of the connector, and removed again afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator: