Electricity And Heating Not Working Properly - Is It The Cooker?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kall

Reaction score
hello all,

we recently had a leak from an upstairs bathroom due to a blocked sink and the water leaked downstairs into the kitchen. The floorspace got fairly wet, as did the cooker which was just beneath the site of the leak. We didn't notice anything the matter until the next afternoon when a plumber came to fix a tap, switched all the electricity off, and when he left and we attempted to switch it back on again, nothing would work. After a little while, we managed to get it all back, but if the cooker was switched on, one of the switches in the box with all the switches would go off. A little while later, we realised if you tried to turn both the heating and hot water on at the same time, it would all switch off.  

So, I'm wondering what the likelihood of the damage being caused by the water getting onto the cooker could be. Is it possible this is just a coincidence or is it fairly obvious its the cooker causing all the problems?

Thanks 

Plumbers don't usually turn off all the electricity to change a tap?? What is below the cooker? A cellar? With wires in it?
Thats odd. There's no cellar beneath the cooker, and even if there was, the water absolutely would not have gotten through. 

What sort of heating / hot water di you have? Combi boiler? Emersion heater for water? storage heaters? Did the plumber touch anything else? Like I said it's odd for the plumber to turn the electricity off bit like me turning the water off while changing a light fitting?

If you turn the cooker off at the wall does the problem still exits 

cooker should only cause problems  on the cooker circuit so there is water elsewhere causing an RCD to trip.
Unless a single or dual RCD board protecting multiple circuits...

hello all,

we recently had a leak from an upstairs bathroom due to a blocked sink and the water leaked downstairs into the kitchen. The floorspace got fairly wet, as did the cooker which was just beneath the site of the leak. We didn't notice anything the matter until the next afternoon when a plumber came to fix a tap, switched all the electricity off, and when he left and we attempted to switch it back on again, nothing would work. After a little while, we managed to get it all back, but if the cooker was switched on, one of the switches in the box with all the switches would go off. A little while later, we realised if you tried to turn both the heating and hot water on at the same time, it would all switch off.  

So, I'm wondering what the likelihood of the damage being caused by the water getting onto the cooker could be. Is it possible this is just a coincidence or is it fairly obvious its the cooker causing all the problems?

Thanks 

Is the switch that turned off in the box a fatter one with a button marked 'Test' or 'T'...

it could be just as you say water in/on an appliance or switch near to your leak would very likely switch an RCD off when any circuit supplied by that RCD is switched on..

Last edited by a moderator:
SL: From what the OP said I made the assumption that it was a single RCD board. : headbang And the OP had gone through the circuits until they found the one at fault (cooker). What is confusing is how the heating and water cause it to go?

It's a bit vague really could do with being there or more info so I made an assumption and assumptions are the mother of all duckups.

Not been the best weekend : headbang

Last edited by a moderator: