How To Charge For Used Electricity And Production

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valet

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if you have Idea on this:

House have solar panels.

Say people who stayed in the villa used -1254 units of electricity in 28 days.
Solar systems generated -318 units of electricity in 28 days
Solar system sold excess electricity to national grid -48 units in 28 days.

Question: For how many units people should be charged?

Appreciate your input.

Regards

1254 units

thats what they used.

simple really,  :)

or,

are you saying you have no way of calculating how many units they actually used of solar as well?

just and add and subtract?

how do you know exactly how many units were exported or used?

Yes I got that,

But if I didn’t have panels solar sys they would have to pay more.

Panels only for my benefit and also try to recouped cost…..of them

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx steptoe,

Have two meters one how many units sys produced

Second tell me how many used plus how many exported all on this meter. Sorry sys in carribs

Been adding usage with production minus export. Dont know if that right?

ok, if you have a meter that tells you how many units used then you can charge for them,

I dont know the rules for charging for electric outside the UK,

within the uk you are not allowed to profit from reselling electric,

so if it was in the UK you would only be allowed to charge the FIT rate for the solar units used AFAIAA

Well not try to charge them[SIZE=medium]   and make money on them  [/SIZE]

Want to make a equal approach

Say if I didn’t have panels they would had to pay more......as system when produces day time slows my usage meter. Some times arrow don’t even move as enough solar.

strange font sorry its my comp

Last edited by a moderator:
you need export metering to determine exactly how much leccy was used by the tennant. If you are going to sell them electric generated and used by them, then you need a 'Power Purchase Agreement' ie a legally binding document. You than can then selll them leccy used from PV at an agreed rate.

Welcome to the forum Valet I have removed your duplicate posts from the other thread.

and edited the text sizes in some of your posts to make it easier to read.

Doc H.

Thanx Doc for that! Had an issue with browser.

Thanx guys for all your input on that.

Sems to me not right as we instaled panels only for out use and recover coat of investment. Now tenats benefit this. One guy used tons on ac during the day when pv should produced 15 units it only credit or exported 2 units by pv !!!

Basically meter stopes and other meter not export as pv generates enough electricity to balance use for example on aircon.

Thanx again!

Best option I can give ( going on UK law)...

Fit (better- have fitted) another, calibrated meter next to the consumer unit. This will read total energy usage; irrespective of how it was generated - as long as the PV is the "other side" of this meter.

( to try and make that clearer).

--------(your mains supply)------(your meter which is read for your bills)------->

> -----------( your new meter as above)----------(consumer unit)

--------(your PV system)---------( your PV export meter)--------------------------->

Make sense?

Well I got it, but only consumet meter get affected by production rate of pv. If theuse a lot daytime and its enough sun on the day. Consumption meter not even moovs.

I have two meters with three readings. One meter solar total denerated then second meter tells consumed amount and then the same meter tels me amount been exported/sold. Ot will be difficult to place other meter.

Thank for your input.

Basically I need to get info or how to change them on amount been used before solar.

What I think will be understandable sums its:

consumption plus generated amount minus sold.

Hi steptoe

Solar connect to a separate consumer unit which has two readings one is usage/consumption and other reading amount sold to the grid.

Also separate meter which tels amout solar generated in total.

ok, so what you need is another, [YES, another], calibrated meter showing how many units are being consumed by the general consumer unit only,

this will show all units passing to the general unit, including solar, so you will have a proper consumption total to bill with.