My Solar System A Good Deal?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtis5489

Reaction score
I've recently had a solar system installed and just put a post up on here regarding a wifi issue with my inverter and lets just say the response to the inverter make wasn't exactly positive! Which leads me to the question is my system a good deal or not. The reason I'm asking is not so I can wallow in my choice but I've been told by the company I can offer the same package to my family. Although not to anyone else due to being too good a deal basically! How I came about the deal is irrelevant but no one could match it and thought I'd got a bargain!

My system is:

1. Solar world 250W mono panels-10 year product and 25 year performance warranty

2. Good we 3600s inverter-10 year product warranty

3.Immersun unit

4.Landis+GYR generation Meter

5.Roof mounts, cable, clips, isolators, mcbs etc

6.Installation-including full width scaffold due to conservatory.

7.EPC Certificate

8.Companies own comprehensive 20 year warranty for full system backed by separate insurer. No costs involved.

Paid £5500, is this a good deal or should I keep it to myself?

Sorry for the essay, just don't want my family ripped off for my mistakes ha.

Regards, Tom.

I've recently had a solar system installed and just put a post up on here regarding a wifi issue with my inverter and lets just say the response to the inverter make wasn't exactly positive! Which leads me to the question is my system a good deal or not. The reason I'm asking is not so I can wallow in my choice but I've been told by the company I can offer the same package to my family. Although not to anyone else due to being too good a deal basically! How I came about the deal is irrelevant but no one could match it and thought I'd got a bargain!

My system is:

1. Solar world 250W mono panels-10 year product and 25 year performance warranty

2. Good we 3600s inverter-10 year product warranty

3.Immersun unit

4.Landis+GYR generation Meter

5.Roof mounts, cable, clips, isolators, mcbs etc

6.Installation-including full width scaffold due to conservatory.

7.EPC Certificate

8.Companies own comprehensive 20 year warranty for full system backed by separate insurer. No costs involved.

Paid £5500, is this a good deal or should I keep it to myself?

Sorry for the essay, just don't want my family ripped off for my mistakes ha.

Regards, Tom.
Well......i know nack all about Solar BUt how can you warranty the performance of something for 25 years BUT you are only prepared to,vouch for it working for TEN. Years?.....later on it "sort of" ups it to 20 years via a third party policy.....confused.con?

BINKY is your man ( and a few others) who will be along shortly to correct/berate me

Just know nowt bout it!

Somebody call :^O

Solarworld are good panels, not the most efficient for your money, but excellent German build quality.

GoodWe, looks good on paper, but my experience of Chinese product isn't good as I've indicated before. Cheap unit at end of day.

Immersun - good unit, fragile buttons - don't press too hard.

Did they do a structural survey of your roof?

Check that they have cable tied all panel connectors up off the roof and not left cables dangling in the breeze

Check inside attic for holes in felting / damp patches - did they use a proper cable entry into roof or just jam cables under tile

Check that tiles have been trimmed around the roof hooks to sit flat - some photos would be good.

Check what warranty covers.

Some photos of the connection to your house would be good.

Have they fitted inverter in attic

Price is good for that package - obviously need a few jobs to fill time before Xmas. I would quote more like £6200 for a package like that, but with £400 dearer inverter. So my immediate thoughts are have they cut corners on the quality of installation work.

Too true my furry friend.

I'm suspicious because of the price, looks like they have done the classic, 'these panels are the best' sales pitch, then cheapskated the inverter to claw back some money - few understand the inverter is the heart of the system. Most now claim 97% efficiency at full irradiance, but then fail to point out they are rubbish at low irradiance. But price with the bells and whistles ie immersun which is £300 plus 20 year warranty means they either work for low profits or maybe cutting corners elsewhere like inverter in attic cos its easy.

Sales pitch about being a special price for you and your famly is also in contravention of RECC guidelines, which basically forbids such sales tactics as a code of condcuct we sign up to.

Meter should also be easily accessible ie not in attic - nothing wrong with L&G btw.

No mention of a personal display either. If they didn't supply one buy a Geo Solo unit, relatively cheap, easy to fit (nb batteries supplied are crap and last 3 months in transmitter) . The display will really help you use the energy generated Curtis

Have to say i probably should have come on here first! To cut a long story short price was down to me cancelling after an idiot saleman mis sold me. Manager then came up with the deal which includes me using my house as a showhouse if necessary. Also don't think they thought I'd originally agreed on the 20 year warranty through them which covers all parts and labour, let's just say they was reluctant to give me it! Glad I was persisstant. Should of researched the inverters more as I never agreed on a make..have to hold my hands up on that!

Going through what you have all said, looks like they have cut a few corners.. Inverter being one, second it was installed in the attic, although stupidly they did ask of i wanted it in the garage..again should have come on here, as guess heat may be an issue? The main issue and most worrying is in my handover pack there is no structural survey!! Quick look through paperwork and small print says it was my responsibility to arrange it..yikes! As for installation it was done by third party contracted to them and can't fault them, everything neat and professional and generation Meyer in garage. No hand held monitor..ironically was hoping for the wifi monitoring but won't hold my breathe ha.

Not sure how to add pics?

Are you sure the warrantee isn't one of those indemnity things that insures the product against manufacturer defects and faults even if the supplying company goes under?

Was offered this once seemed a little far fetched so I declined :(

Not a PV guy but if I were the son of an aristocrat then It would be sunny boy for me.

:)

I think my loft is cooler now due to the solar panels.  I persume as the panels are on the south facing roof not as much of the sun is hitting the tiles due to the panels.  Of course I have no way of proving this and it might all be down to my imagination.  Not had any probs with the inverter cutting out or back due to high temps.  In Scotland so that might be the reason for that :) .

2.35kW system tied into a 2500HF Sunny Boy inverter.

if you are covering most of the roof it will kepp the attic cooler Roys. I rarely install in an attic, but if I do I like to add an extra roof vent to help air-flow.

Curtis, please check if intsaller is MCS registered, and report to RECC if they are not. Also report parent company for using sales tactics not allowed under their guidelines ie using house as show room... Have a look at the RECC site there should be guidance on there as to what is acceptable behaviour.

Not surprised he was reluctant to offer 20year warranty, but unsure where he is sourcing that from, as we can only get 10 years max from out insurer (doesn't mean it isn't kosher). Only 20 year waranties are usually from inverter manufacturer.

Installation company is MCS registered and looking through handover I've got the MCS certificate and a Napit Certificate as well as a building regs one. As said thought installation company were very professional. I knew nothing about the RECC even though after reading through it it says they should tell me.. The main company, which I won't name in case its against forum rules, or 'the company' as it says in there terms and conditions are part of the RECC. Think I'm going to have a read through it a bit more. Definitely want clarification regarding their warranty, as it says I should have details on any warranty. Cheers for info.

Now I admit to not being MCS, and wanting nothing to do with it.

However, I personally don't believe that the inverter in the loft complies with CDM, and all electrical work including solar must comply with CDM.

The DRA MUST cover this and, it MUST show that this is acceptable.

How many of you do DRA's?

Inverters in loft are complaint, but not the best place - inaccesible, lofts can get very hot etc etc. There is an argument about keeping DC cable runs shorter, but as I oversize the DC anyway I think this is fairly irrelevent, I'm more interested in keeping the inverter working at optimum efficiency.

OK so MCS, which is not statute law, I suspect does not "trump" CDM which is!

So, I'll continue then to follow the line that inverters in the attic do not comply with CDM, until someone can provide a sound justification for putting them there on safety grounds and prove that they are safely maintainable, backed up with a DRA for install & ongoing maintenance which shows it is safer to put them there than anywhere else in the property.

Forgetting reliability and efficiency at the moment, and just considering statute law requirements.

Somehow, I don't think I'll see one.

The attic isn't the only location we can put an inverter, it's where most end up cos' its easier to install. LIke gas boilers in attic, it should have safe access installed at the same time, and there are rules about not installing on flammable surfaces ie wood.

Good luck with trying to get it changed Sidey, whilst I'm sure you are correct, the industry will probably tell you to 'go away' :^O