2 Pole Or Not 2 Pole

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean the bean

Reaction score
hi all,

I've got a single light switch with 2 link cables, what type of switch do I need. The light switch is with 2 intermediates to 2 other light switches. Thanks

Yes circuit is off, there's 2x4 core cable each going off to other switches and 3 core for light. Can I wire all into 2 pole or intermediate (4way) switch. Thanks

2x 4 core?

you mean 2 x 3 core & earth?

and a 3 core for the light? highly unusual.

Also highly unusual for the light to be connected to the intermediate, it's usually connected to one of the 2 way switches at the end.

Is this a new circuit? or have you just removed the old switch and done the classic trick of not recording how the old switch was wired?

If you had 2 x 3 core and earth cable with one of the live cores from each cable joined together in a terminal block (earths obviously joined together) then I would think that it's an intermediate switch,,, but I would carry out further continuity testing to prove it first.

What colour are the wires and where do they go?

I've done it loads of times Dave,,, I've even done 2 way bringing both 3c&e's to the light

Yes it's possible, but I still say highly unusual.

What I'm trying to establish, is whether this is an existing circuit, in which case any inter linking cables should still be linked. Or a new circuit, in which case you have to ask who installed it, they should know.

Nice one guys, so in short I don't need an intermiate switch I can just wire 2 link wires into com all live into l1 neutrals into l2. Then all 3 switches can control light? Also I have silavent inline fan how can I test if psu is faulty thanks

IKWYM ;)

It is unusual,, but that's just like me ;)

If he still had the original switch that would be a great help.... I can't imagine that he's trying to wire a new circuit :eek:

Nice one guys, so in short I don't need an intermiate switch I can just wire 2 link wires into com all live into l1 neutrals into l2. Then all 3 switches can control light? Also I have silavent inline fan how can I test if psu is faulty thanks
NO

I doubt that you have any neutrals at this switch... I really suggest that you get someone in who can easily test it and fit exactly what's needed

So isn't there a live neutral link and earth wire in 4 core then? So shouldn't lets all blacks go together Browns go together and greys go into coms. I get what u mean the black from light is switched live. How do I do tests basically sparks left bigger job so I'm finishing off. Thanks

No that won't work.

Do you have any understanding of how 3 way switching works with an intermediate switch?

Have you looked at the other 2 switches? how many terminals (and what colours) do the other 2 switches have?

and is this a new circuit or just replacing the switch on an existing circuit?

I suggest you are out of your depth and need to call an electrician.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I'm broke so have no choice. Originally there was a switch with com l1 and l2 , there was live and switch live from light into l1 and l2 with a second cable 3c&e with link into com and others into l1 & l2. We have now added another 3c&e from upstairs down to main light switch. Can I just wire new 3c&e into existing switch or do I need a different switch type. Thanks

So, what you HAD was this switch plus one other controlling the light.

you have ADDED another switch elsewhere, connected via a 3 core cable to this back box to also control the light.

So this switch will be an intermediate switch (4 terminals)

I'll draw a diagram later (possible a lot later see how time goes) unless someone else beats me to it.

So if I understand, you have....

Switch 1.................Switch 2..................Light

C--------------------------C

L1-------------------------L1----------------------Perm live

L2-------------------------L2----------------------Switch live

With all the earths connected together at each point????

And you want

Switch 1.................Switch 2...................Switch 3

C-----------------------------------------------------C

L1------------------------L1 L1-----------------------L1

L2------------------------L2 L2-----------------------L2

With your perm live connected at switch 2 to L1

and the switched live connected at switch 2 to L2

BOTH OF THESE CONECTED TO EITHER THE TOP TERMINALS OR THE BOTTOM TERMINALS, NOT ONE TO THE TOP AND ONE TO THE BOTTOM!!

all earths obviously connected together at each point

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you want 2 pole switches at all, you might be looking at 2 way & intermediate though.

However, what do I know!

I HATE domestic.