Metacam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark2spark

Reaction score
Ooohhh... you might regret this sub forum M'sier Veet, lol.

Any comments on the continued usefulness of giving Metacam to my nearly 12 yr old Lab, both front leg 'elbows' have calcium knobbly bits.

I've recently introduced Gylco flex 3 into his diet and this seems to have made more of a difference, yet this is non prescription, metacam is, and the cost of metacam combined with the cost of prescription is... well I was thinking that a bag of white powder on the street corner would be cheaper! :^O Lol

(That's a JOKE before I get thumped!)

Ooohhh... you might regret this sub forum M'sier Veet, lol.Any comments on the continued usefulness of giving Metacam to my nearly 12 yr old Lab, both front leg 'elbows' have calcium knobbly bits.

I've recently introduced Gylco flex 3 into his diet and this seems to have made more of a difference, yet this is non prescription, metacam is, and the cost of metacam combined with the cost of prescription is... well I was thinking that a bag of white powder on the street corner would be cheaper! :^O Lol

(That's a JOKE before I get thumped!)
X( putting ideas in people heads on this ere forum

whats the world coming too :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

:^O

My argument is very simple - arthritis is a VERY painful condition and this must be managed for welfare reasons. Metacam is an excellent way of achiving this.

Other suppliments (cold liver oil, glucosamine, chondritin) may help BUT are unlikely to solve the problem on their own. Regular excercise is important and is your dog a good weight - there's a lot of fat Labs out there!

I don't know how much the Metacam cost you and the pricing of drugs is something I don't really want to discuss but there are now cheaper alternatives to Metacam with the same active ingredient. Flexicam and Meloxivet are the two that spring to mind but there are others. It's like buying @Nurofen' or supermarket own ibuprofen - just paying for the name. Savings of upto 25% can easily be made.

Just stopping giving the poor dog painkillers is wrong! A reduced dose or generic product would be my advice :)

Ahhh... the penny drops.

Thanks for that Apache, I didn't realise it was *exclusively* a pain killer, I thought it was a combo type drug that reduced swelling as well.

He's on all the supplements, about 38.5 kg now, peaked at 42 kg, a big chested strong lab, vet doesn't seem too concerned with his weight, just keeping an eye on it like you say.

Am buying metacam from pet drugs online, virtually half the price of over the counter at the vets. Will look into the alternatives.

His demeanor is still a happy one, so quality of life isn't too bad for him at over 80, I try to keep him calm as tho' cos he has that hoarsey rasp now when he gets excited.

Many thanks for your time.

to clarify Metacam is an anit-inflamatory painkiller but really it's the painkilling that we're using it for!

Likelelderly people with arthritis taking Ibuprofen

Not sure why that word was blanked out above?

Phonetically it's horsey.

but correct spelling has an 'a' in it? Maybe I spelt it wrong.

The spell checker won't let me spell/write my football team, from north london also known as 'the gunners'. :(

Thanks for the clarification.

Not sure why that word was blanked out above?Phonetically it's horsey.

but correct spelling has an 'a' in it? Maybe I spelt it wrong.

The spell checker won't let me spell/write my football team, from north london also known as 'the gunners'. :(

Thanks for the clarification.
Doesn't like scunthorpe either. But stopcock ok :)

Ok Gents - I have just sorted those words out for you...

Test...

S****horpe

Hoarsey

Arsenal

:D

My old collie was on Metecam for the final 2 years of his life. He went from looking and behaving like a very old dog, dragging his toenails when walking to almost puppy-like behaviour seemingly overnight.

The Metacam was expensive yes, but worth every penny IMO to give the old boy the quality of life he had in those 2 years.

My old collie was on Metecam for the final 2 years of his life. He went from looking and behaving like a very old dog, dragging his toenails when walking to almost puppy-like behaviour seemingly overnight. The Metacam was expensive yes, but worth every penny IMO to give the old boy the quality of life he had in those 2 years.
You make a good point there Taz - many dogs that are 'slowing down' are due to crippling arthritic pain. They're not just getting old!

The difference with some painkiller on board can be immense.

:)

Apache we use Joint Aid for dogs and a separate glucosamine tablet to help our dogs joints as she does agility and fly ball. Is this ok or can they have to much glucosamine?

Apache we use Joint Aid for dogs and a separate glucosamine tablet to help our dogs joints as she does agility and fly ball. Is this ok or can they have to much glucosamine?
Nobody knows. Same in people - it's a suppliment so we don't know what the correct dose is, no trials have to be undertaken for food suppliments.

There is no evidence of toxicity (that I know of) so more is likely to be better :) I think the expense is what keeps the dose down!

It will do your dog good :) (and many other old dogs and old sparks I don't doubt!)

Nobody knows. Same in people - it's a suppliment so we don't know what the correct dose is, no trials have to be undertaken for food suppliments.There is no evidence of toxicity (that I know of) so more is likely to be better :) I think the expense is what keeps the dose down!

It will do your dog good :) (and many other old dogs and old sparks I don't doubt!)
Thanks for that and when it comes to expense her indoors dont hold back on the dog expense, the dog gets more looking after than poor old moi :_| bless she has to have a hobby :D

Latest posts