Recommended 17Th Edition Tester

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning, this is my first post so please be gentle! I'm just getting into the self employed inspection and testing game. Although I've seen this kind of question a number of times I thought I'd start a new topic.

Ok, I'll be testing mainly domestic and commercial properties. I don't see me testing many tt systems, and with most 17th testers I'd be stuffed anyway. I've also used in the past both meggers and flukes and unsurprisingly I don't have any hang ups about either.

A few questions:

Which make and model would people recommend?

Have the software issues megger had a few years back cleared up?

Are there testers you can get add on pat testing kits?

What's the lifespan of the testers?

Many thanks and appreciate any advice

Certainly plan to be doing installations, but as the tester is one of the most expensive pieces of kit. I'm up for any advice I can get

I've been impressed with both megger and flukes, both really well made and give decent results. I've also had an older megger I was using start giving erratic results though. It was a model a few years old and may not have had any software update. Hence one of the questions in the original post.