Apache

Big Yellow Book - Group Buy - Gauging Interest

Would you be interested in a group buy for the BYB?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a copy through the forum (based on above conditions)?

2. 2. If you want a copy of the BYB would you also like to buy the following:

NozSpark

You'd have thought that there would have been much more of a take up on this offer as surely all self employed electricians need a copy..... even employed electricians need a copy.... So remembering that this offer is open to all members, new and old (even interested DIYers) then 20 copies should be easy to achieve.....

however it seems that it isn't

ShockingExperience

Maybe, I only do offshore work now and most of that is on machines rather than electrical installation so probably a waste of time for me, and, if required the company generally pay for it. So unless I could get a proper VAT receipt it would possibly be a non starter, sorry :(

switch10

Count me in for the BYB

Edited by switch10

getdave47

I'd be interested in the BYB, OSG and GN3 too

jasonhearn

Have had both my BYB and GN1 and GN3 already delivered by the IET i pre-ordered my complete set GN1 - GN8 and both the BYB and OSG from them last november. Its worth becoming an IET member just for the discounts on all the literature they produce haha

Russ1109

Yeah put my name down for the BYB

Harvey

I would be interested in the BYB and OSG

Many thanks

Mike P

Yes I would be interested 

Ash6812

Put me down for the BYB, OSG & GN3 

Cheers, 

NozSpark

Maybe, I only do offshore work now and most of that is on machines rather than electrical installation so probably a waste of time for me, and, if required the company generally pay for it. So unless I could get a proper VAT receipt it would possibly be a non starter, sorry :(

From what I know the forum can give invoices

blinker

At present there are reputable online book sellers offering IET (not EiT) BS7671 Amendment 3 book for far less delivered, and is currently in stock, I have ordered and received my copy from them.    

Comments from members about sticking with 14th edition so as they don't have to spend £85 every two years (even though you claim you are employed so the cost would surely be met by your employer?) on new books is great, a lot of my work comes from putting right the work you dinosaurs carry out, keep on installing to the 14th Edition, rectifying your work pays for my holidays and new vans.

psychicwarrior

I got all three  for a little over £100 as an individual, so I would have thought group buying ought to do better than that price I got. Kudos to the TEF for the idea however!

Once took part in a similar thing over energy (gas electric) purchasing -  saved very little if anything. The group negotion thing is the right way to go, just need to have 100's, perhaps thousands (depending on what it is ) and more  willing to  commit to be able to put the pressure on for a good price.

Anyway another Regs version will be out in another year.....its all a money making racket. ;-/

NozSpark

I think the comments about people just just using their 14th ed books is just tongue in cheek... IIRC it was the last (previous) version of BS7671 that was yellow (possibly?)

arcship

I'm employed in a new job I would hope company would buy books but if not I may have to arcship

gary1971

Yep count me in but not interested in OSG , £85  a time is bad enough

wilf334

Count me in  BYB and OSG

Sidewinder

A proper VAT receipt would not be an issue, even though the vat would only be on the carriage.

At present there are reputable online book sellers offering IET (not EiT) BS7671 Amendment 3 book for far less delivered, and is currently in stock, I have ordered and received my copy from them.    

Comments from members about sticking with 14th edition so as they don't have to spend £85 every two years (even though you claim you are employed so the cost would surely be met by your employer?) on new books is great, a lot of my work comes from putting right the work you dinosaurs carry out, keep on installing to the 14th Edition, rectifying your work pays for my holidays and new vans.

Well post the links then.

You won't be rectifying any of my work I can assure you, I might end up rectifying some of yours, or facing you as a prosecution witness though if you get it wrong.

Be careful what sweeping statements you make.

Barx

After have a prod email I guess I'll answer. As much as I should really have a BYB and relevant literature I simply cannot justify the cost so I'll just survive off others cast off's and get an onsite guide at some point.

I still haven't bought my DC amp clamp off MeggarMark yet as I had to spend that bit of money on something else. lol. Bet he thinks I'm a right tw@

Good idea though, bulk ordering, etc. Nice move!

Edited by Barx

paulw2191

BYB I'm interested

revor

Yes count me in.

CMSTATHER

I'm in, anything to save a couple of quid :innocent

strictlyvinyl

If you have a green book in good condition you can trade it in on amazon for £21.86. I'm going to do that and put it towards the cost of the yellow one.

blinker

In reply to the responses to my post regarding the "Big Yellow Book"

The last time the IEE / IET Wiring Regulation were issued in a yellow cover was as Amendment 2 of the 16th Edition issued in 1997.

And for the benefit of "The Snake"

The links to the site were not included in my post as I respect that the Forum is trying to maybe help those who do not have full access to the internet, to save a little money by their bulk purchasing.

It was not you that posted about still using the 14th Edition as a reference which I do also s understand to be a tounge in cheek comment.

These were not "sweeping statements" they were personal comments made based on what I find and have to rectify day to day as a fully qualified, professional working electrician - why when they were directed to the person making the "statement" and not you, did they touch such a nerve with you that you felt the need to reply in such a way?

Sidewinder

The last time the IEE / IET Wiring Regulation were issued in a yellow cover was as Amendment 2 of the 16th Edition issued in 1997.

The links to the site were not included in my post as I respect that the Forum is trying to maybe help those who do not have full access to the internet, to save a little money by their bulk purchasing.

It was not you that posted about still using the 14th Edition as a reference which I do also s understand to be a tounge in cheek comment.

These were not "sweeping statements" they were personal comments made based on what I find and have to rectify day to day as a fully qualified, professional working electrician - why when they were directed to the person making the "statement" and not you, did they touch such a nerve with you that you felt the need to reply in such a way?

The forum is trying to save members money as a primary reason.

You made sweeping statements, that is the way I read them, and that is what I DO NOT LIKE.

For your very first post on the forum, you were very rude.

That is something else I do not like.

That is why it as you claim "touched a nerve", your being rude and making sweeping statements and accusing people of shoddy workmanship on your very first post is not going to ingratiate yourself to me, end of. that is the reason for my reply.

If you would like to apologise to the members then that's fine & I will apologise to you, if, I have misunderstood your intentions, however, my replies indicate how I see them from here.

ProDave

Are you suggesting we wait a while until the bootleg versions come up on ebay for £5 on a DVD?

We all agree the regs cost a lot compared to other books (but cheap compared to some other BS specifications). All the forum is trying to do is by bulk buying,  get copies to forum members a bit below retail price.

If that doesn't interest you and you have "other" sources then fair enough, but no need to belittle the idea.

Well at least post a link to these cheaper sources?

Edited by ProDave