Induction Hob Fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not fixed an induction hob before, what's special about them? how do they work?

Basically all 4 "rings" have stopped working the owner says something "went click"

So what's common that would stop all 4 rings? are they full of complicated electronics?

never opened one, but it almost everyone i have fitted had an 'on/off' button / control. or it may have some kinda of thermal cutout

or they are using stainless steel pans...

I know the principle behind them, so I thought it would be an individual regulator to an individual transformer primary for each "ring" with the base of the pan forming the secondary.

So what common circuit would go "click" and stop all "rings" working?

No idea, sorry!

BUT one of the 5 rings on our rangemaster went moody and the display came up E4... I think. Empty pan had been left on and got a bit warm.

Turned cooker off left it a couple of minutes, back on, all working

Could it be, in your case, that it got too hot and needs a mains "reset"...like a global failsafe.....'one off...all off'?

Just a wild stab in the dark by someone who does not know

I know the principle behind them, so I thought it would be an individual regulator to an individual transformer primary for each "ring" with the base of the pan forming the secondary.

So what common circuit would go "click" and stop all "rings" working?
I know I'm a simpleton looking for an excuse to post old photon vids :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A spillage like a pan boiling over will switch them off. Also make sure the glass top is clean. They need well ventilating too underneath as have vents. The better ones come with a pre-wired bit of flex. That's worth checking i.e the feed's not undersized. Here's mine, mid kitchen build - I even thinned down the top brace of the unit directly under the worktop so it could get plenty of ventilation with the cupboard doors closed:

SAM_4592.JPG

Just to be clear this "hob" is part of a complete free standing cooker.

My first question is did the ovens still work and the answer is yes, so there is still power to it (had it been a hob on it's own, loss of supply would be a likely candidate)

It's 30 miles to get to the job. I have asked the owner to text me the model number so I can try to look it up but she has not done that yet.

Latest posts