Washing Machine Power Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samdefloreal

Reaction score
Hello,

Washing machine is Toshiba aw-5550EMS

Checked the lead, the fuse and so far so good. Took apart the power switch from the panel, opened it and had a look inside and can't work out if it's still good or not. (one side of the plastic inside has turned darkish brown).

Plugged in the washing machine and used tester to see if power is going to the switch through the wires that connect to it, which is the case. 

I can't work out if it's the circuit board or the power switch that's won't let the machine turn on. 

So before i go out and buy another power switch, is there a way to bypass the power switch safely to see if the machine will turn on?

Many thanks for your help and advice.

pull the machine out and plug it into another socket?

sounds like the fused connection unit / spur / power switch may be goosed has the fuse gone???

does it look something like this?

6f543ec2f30f61f53d717faaab5a0d74.image.310x270.jpg

Plugged in the washing machine and used tester to see if power is going to the switch through the wires that connect to it, which is the case.
I'm going to completely ignore this part of the post as well and ask if there is power at the socket.

Safest way to check if the switch works is test both sides of it with power on. If there is power both sides when it is in circuit and on it works, if not it is broken. no bypassing needed.

how are you testing for power?

just because something is showing as 'live' doesnt mean it really is 'live' , it depends on how you have tested it,

also, have you tested for a neutral?

Ours bit the dust just a couple weeks ago. I had a power strip connected to the switch with the washing machine and wall mounted heater. We only use the heater in the winter, but either the quality of the switch or the demand of the heater sent it to an early grave. Picked up a new one for about £7 and it's working again perfectly. 

Yes, we got rid of the power strip and left the heater on its own switch while putting the low load units onto a new power strip.