Un-Effing Believable!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
So before first fix I meet up with this new builder & it is agreed sink backboxes & trunk into wall  with 15mmish proud so plaster board & skim will sit flush............

Gets there yesterday to 2nd fix  :C

At least this will be behind the wall mounted TV

IMG_20150228_105427.jpg

IMG_20150228_105420.jpg

Might need a low level cupboard after all.

IMG_20150228_104943.jpg

Excellent. Will you just do 2nd fix and let them see what it looks like?

I find I am the only person who can be bothered to fill in around my back boxes correctly. No one else can be bothered, either big gaps or the box gets filled in , which then breaks off around the edges when I have to knock it out.

You leave cables hanging out of boxes? Not surprised the plasterer has it in for you.

At clients request i left cables out of box

Shite spreader was told this

Shite spreader cut cables

Shite spreader was thrown off site

Shite spreader is not a God of the building trade to be reveered by all....he is a shite spreader. He may also have to spread in the dark...not my issue

Some plasterers are great and we get on fine and help,each other...then there are others

Just saying

You leave cables hanging out of boxes? Not surprised the plasterer has it in for you.
He doesn't have it in for me at all, the tails were left out at his request.....................the plasterer is the builder.

Sorry but i am with Lurch..... down my way plasterers chop cables if they are sticking out.
Only had that happen once, so I re-chased his plaster to put in a new leg on the ring & as pointed out by Kerch I wasn't the one who got the bollocking from the customer ;)

did he use a sledge hammer to make them holes in the plasterboard?
Later I will put up picks of the down lighting cables........................and the extra find the cable holes I smashed/carved in the plaster board :slap

He doesn't have it in for me at all, the tails were left out at his request.....................the plasterer is the builder.
I did a job for someone like this once. As soon as he started telling me that he needed the boxes sinking for dot & dab I knew I was on a loser. I was right, the plastering was ******* dreadful.

Up here things rarely get plastered.  Just usually plasterboard fitted (to battens) by the joiner, then a "taper" comes in and tapes and fills just the joints.

The typical "lack of care" that's rife in the building trade is the joiner doesn't cut the board right, hammers it into position because it;s too big, bursting the edge in the process then says "the taper will sort that" 

the ones I dread are where a kitchen for example is being lined with wet wall as a backing rather than tiling. there's a LOT more scope for the joiner messing that up and getting the box holes in the wrong place or the wrong size.

Usually if it's just plain dry lined walls I don;t fit back boxes, just tape bundles of wires where they need to go, expect the joiner or whatever to drill a hole and leave them coming out of the plasterboard, and I will cut the back boxes in. they can't always get even that right, ranging from leaving the cables behind the board (where the F are they?) or drilling holes for each socket box at a completely random height so once you have fitted the boxes at the correct height you are left with a load of holes that need filling.

Of course we are the only ones in the trade aware of the building regs height limit for switches and sockets, nobody else knows that. (a bit like safe zones then)

I don't think the "problem" here is the boxes too far recessed. The problem is the holes in the plasterboard cut far too big and rough. And that row of 2G boxes where there is no plasterboard in between the sockets is just madness.

I don't think the "problem" here is the boxes too far recessed. The problem is the holes in the plasterboard cut far too big and rough. And that row of 2G boxes where there is no plasterboard in between the sockets is just madness.
Both problems are related to each other, and they each contribute to making the other problem worse. If the boxes weren't recessed the rough cut board would be easier to patch to the edges of correctly aligned boxes at the correct depth and boxes that are too deep in correctly cut boards would be easy to fix with extension boxes or long screws.

would have been better off with dry-lining boxes, like those natty ones that are joined together for multiple sockets in a line
That's always my choice for plasterboard.

Some people hate them. All I can say to that is some makes are particularly carp, but you won't go far wrong with Appleby ones.

They're ok until some little scrote catches the cable to the vacuum which is still plugged in and rips the dryline box out of the wall, now try and fix that. :(

With boxes in a line I try to leave a 2" gap between them, the boarder then has no excuse not to board between them then.

Latest posts