I've Booked An Outside Job For March 20Th...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to make up one of those pinhole camera things to project an image of the sun onto a bit of paper so you can watch the moon traversing across it.

Last one, 15 or so years ago we went down onto Portland bill to see it. It got so dark the lighthouse came on.

I'm good friends with the guy I'm doing the job for so we will probably take some time out to watch it.

ive booked in nothing on the morning... hopefully clear sky, and take the camera out. really need to try the welding glass over the front before, my filters dont go dark enough

Last edited by a moderator:
just been googling about welding mask/goggles and solar eclipses. Seems a 14 filter minimum is needed, but you don't get to see a lot because the sun is quite small. Some people are tempted to use binoculars too, in which case the filter needs to go in front of the binoculars and must be securely fixed (if it falls off or slips a bit, you go blind). Unless you absolutely know what you are doing, please don't try this, not worth the risk. Pinhole and paper work brilliantly.

I am a bit of an astronomy nut but I once lost a tenner to a mate when Venus, Mars and Jupiter were all visible from his back garden. I pointed out all three and he said that there was another planet that was also visible from there, and was willing to bet money on it. I knew I was a bit more interested in astronomy than he was so I accepted his bet and asked him to show me the other planet. He pointed straight down.

The last solar eclipse I missed due to my door handle falling off and not being able to get out my bedroom, despite the rather loud shouting that none of my family heard as they were outside watching the eclipse haha so I must see this one!

A faulty knob can result in missing out on many of lifes little pleasures

The last solar eclipse I missed due to my door handle falling off and not being able to get out my bedroom, despite the rather loud shouting that none of my family heard as they were outside watching the eclipse haha so I must see this one!

So they are saying there's a problem as all the solar PV goes off line.

THEN they say there will be a drop in demand as everyone goes outside to watch.

Well that's okay, the two balance out then?