Mcs Qms Choices

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening!

We are getting MCS accredited and currently going through the paperwork for it all. It seems that the 'biggie' for the assessment is the QMS in place. the bosses are planning on doing it all ourselves. Is literally everyone using PClip or is it viable to setup your own system?

What are the options here?

I've seen a few places that do a short course on setting up your own MCS QMS, anyone tried one of these? Is it feasible?

Thanks

Canoeboy said:
Whatever scam you are with will have a template for you - you just need to change it to fit your business

I use paperclip as everything that gets updated (which is frequently) is done automatically in the background by them, i.e. RECC change something to the MCS Rules change, its all done without me thinking in the background and all documented and versioned

Binky uses his own system I believe

You should tell your bosses not to be tight arses :slap
Cheers Canoe

Not necessarily being tight, just weighing up the options. If it is something that can be done in-house and will produce a better, more refined system then so be it. There are places like EasyMCS that recon to create you a system and mentor you on it for a reasonable price, but again no idea if it is any good.

I must admit the outlays are rather big for this sort of thing.

Competency course, RECC membership, scam membership, design software, QMS, etc, etc the list goes on, lol

We jusy want to get it up and running quickly now, but right if you know what I mean.

I agree but someone sold them on PVSol.............

What's PClip cost these days? And is it still the 'one and only' or are there competitors now a days?

If you already have something like ISO9000 or 14000, then the QMS system is very similar, my own is actually a tweaked version of a propriety package what was given to me :innocent The cost of these systems is far less than writing your own which is very time consuming and annoying. I did have P-Clip, which I only bought for the shading tool really, it was far too extensive for what i needed as i already had a system, plus I was balls out busy and it annoyed me having to load data sheets every time i did a quote which don't come preloaded despite the sample having lots of data sheets - I use an extensive range of products so this was slower than what i normally did. It may also avoid the need to buy PV-Sol as it has a roof design function built in, albeit simplistic by comparison. BUT if I was starting from fresh I think I would recommend it or Easy MCS wholeheartedly due to amount of grief avoided doing it yourself

My advice is don't create your own system, paper based or otherwise, use the software that is available and add your business information in it. Having an mcs manual that the assessor does not recognise or finds difficult to assess will just irritate them.

MCS rules keep changing and no doubt the torries will change more with FIT's and other things during this government. As such you want a system that sorts these changes out for you while you carry on installing and developing your technical skills. Spend the money, get it sorted and have less hassle, that's my advice. 

When choosing system try to get something that controls the majority of the process, including handover documents etc etc.

I must admit the outlays are rather big for this sort of thing.

Competency course, RECC membership, scam membership, design software, QMS, etc, etc the list goes on, lol

We jusy want to get it up and running quickly now, but right if you know what I mean.
 this is the down side - start up costs are quite significant, unless you think it will be regular work, pay someone to register / design jobs

Latest posts