Well It All Started Off So Well, Then.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
So new tumble dryer arrives. Needs a vent hole, never bothered with the old,one as it did not produce enough humidity to bother about.

Out with the hole saw, start drilling. Plasterboard, celotex,plaster, single course of common...no problem.

Across the cavity into the Accrington. Now my Accys are a specisl , now deleted, brick. Called rockface or NORI sculpture. I managed to get one of the blue ones!....similar to,staffy blues. Took all the teeth off the core bit about 15mm from breakthrough. Finished off with big bar and twatting stick.

image.jpg

Decided for neatness to recess the colour of the 4" pipe into wall to make it flush. But i need to widen hole by about 10mm through plasterboard and celotex, but how?

Brainwave time. Find holesaw same size as existing hole, use as pilot drill inside bigger holesaw same size as the collar. Same as the Starret oops adaptor

Thread not long enough to hold two blades....plan two

The saw blades have holes in them that line up, so a bit of nut and bolting and we have a solution that worked better than expected

image.jpg

Then fit the new 'pilot drill/saw'

image.jpg

Hole finished, wife happy as can be expected, brownie points earned

neat idea with the 2 hole saws bolted together. I have used a batten screwed through the plasterboard before to accept the pilot bit. But I can see if you were drilling a few of them (eg making recessed lighting holes bigger), that would work nicely.

Hold on we'll be the judge of that if you don't mind!

Final fitted pictures please :)
Errrrrm, bit of an issue there!

Due to my son mugging me for some ducting last week i only had 9"..... Some folk are happy with 9", i am not.

So after fitting the duct to the dryer there was not a lot of space left in which to fit My arms AND the duct behind the dryer. It took 30 mins just to,get the dryer back...so,it aint coming out in a hurry

Just struggling

That reminds me, I must figure the thread size of the larger Starrett abors and get some UN bolts to put "two on one". 

That reminds me, I must figure the thread size of the larger Starrett abors and get some UN bolts to put "two on one".
I pinched that idea from you.....brilliant, thanks

I am off to,one of my suppliers tomorrow so,i will try a holesaw against some of their bolts and report back.

I have some Makita holesaws up to about40mm and theynare all the SMALLER sized thread!....confused me at first...but is quite handy, so theynare kept separate "just in case"

Just plagiarising

Well after two minutes with Mr google, this from the Starret site

The A19 ‘Oops’ Arbor works with the following holesaws because they all have the same screw threads (1/2”-20 & 5/8”-18):

So tomorrows search is for some. 5/8”-18 UNC bolts
I can post you one if required.

Are you sure it's UNC? 5/8" UNC is 11 TPI whereas UNF is 18 TPI

My mistake, sorry, UNF

Just correcting
Hmmmmm........just thinking further I remember an issue with this. 5/8"-18 UNF has a diameter of just less than 16mm so no good even in a 13mm chuck. The bolt shank will need to be turned down to 13mm or maybe even 10mm if talking about girlie the smaller sized chucks!  :lol:

I did not actually get hold of a bolt/set screw as they were out of them. However somewhere in the back of Number 23 shed/west wing i have a small screwcutting lathe ( unfortunately my old Denford Viceroy cannot screwcut) so I may have a go at ruining some steel next time i use it. Meanwhile i think my "oops" will take two 5/8" saws at same time

Just....turning good steel into blue swarf, and not very good

I have some 1/2"x20 UNF bolts somewhere, I bought some to knock up an adaptor, just turned the head off leaving the plain extended shank of the bolt.

I'll try to find them next time I'm in the unit.