Part P Assessment Tomorrow

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boycie

Reaction score
Hi all, I've my Part P assessment tomorrow ( 13/04/15), really nervous about it but having read some of the posts on here, i feel a bit better about it. Fear of the unknown but someone i know did a Kitchen fitters course and passed it so fingers crossed i'll be ok. Any tips?

know your stuff, especially safe isolation procedures and earthing systems, and keep trap shut - don't volunteer information. Answer questions, and if unsure, say 'refer to regs'

Cheers lads. Yeah, i've read tea and biscuits are good to keep him on your side. I think i've got all my documentation in place but just hope nerves don't take over. I bought a prover for safe isolation but not sure i'll sway under the pressure of his questions.

Oh dear, oh dear , oh dear......you may fail!

Biscuit hierarchy

First visit.....selection box, fig rolls , tea and coffee

Second visit......selection box, tea

Third to tenth visit....hobnobs, tea

Eleventh to fiftieth visit....rich tea...if you are brave enough

Fifty first to ( our next will be) 58th........bollox to them, we have paid so much over the years he can bring US some biccies. AND a coffee machine

And yes, we joined the happy band of the NIC in 1956 ( i think )

Just warning

How did you get on Boycie ?      Bet you passed !!!            Now you  start funding their existence ............as I read this this I am entering in my accounts around £500 worth of invoices from them !!!!

Ooops forgot the third Regs book in as many years  ...so £600 .

How did you get on Boycie ?      Bet you passed !!!            Now you  start funding their existence ............as I read this this I am entering in my accounts around £500 worth of invoices from them !!!!

Ooops forgot the third Regs book in as many years  ...so £600 .
Yep, it smarts a bit doesn't it?

Part P is a BUILDING REG

If you sell,your soul to the Devil and join a "scheme" you are able to,sign off your own domestic electrical,work ...notify your scheme...and have the appropriate paperwork submitted to,your LA. This does NOT apply to,ALL domestic work either!

If not then you are 'meant' to,notify Building Control prior to,starting the work and be charged accordingly and they will,monitor the work

That is a very brief summary BUT it depends what part of the UK /GB you are in amongst other things

Notice again that even within the trade Part Pee is not widely known .

When I was levered back to college for the 17th edition thing , no one in the class knew what Part Pee was  . 

I remember having my first assessment with ELECSA, I was sort of use to having being inspected a lot in my army days so I felt well prepared. When I met the rather large assessor the first thing I noticed was his deep Geordie accent, so I tested the water with Newcastle Utd football and how my Dad is a big fan... it went down an absolute treat. The talk about football with the mixture of tea and biscuits, almost give me the registration there and then. The experience went fine, he noticed I was well prepared had the competency, quals and documents in the place, so I had no problems.

I hope it went as well for you Boycie

I'm finding the reassesments a bit tiresome now TBH .

Especially if its not my usual guy , which has occurred a couple of times .  For the tenth time in as many tears we look at my PL , we check meter recalibs, have I got a Regs book ?  Yes I now have a pile of them a metre high :coat     .etc etc .

Been at this since conduit was 3/4" steel .....  2.5mm was 7.029  & fuseboards never seemed to self ignite themselves  because   a)  They were made in Britain  and (b)  we were taught to tighten up the terminals without the use of a £ 100 screwdriver. 

charge them for waiting time,  :)
I had a couple of calls from them asking if I wanted a cancellation... with everything that was going on at the time I told them not to bother me with cancellations or even a scheduled visit as I might have had to cancel at short notice and I wasn't willing to pay a cancellation fee..

Now that every thing has settled down, and I'm now able to have a visit, I haven't called them back