Is It To Late?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Price88

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a 27 year old guy who is currently working as a retail manager. I'm married, living in rented accommodation and trying for a baby. Currently my pitiful salary can barely keep us afloat and my best friend (who is a sparky) has recommended a career change and to consider becoming an electrician. I need to earn whilst learning, I am a hard worker and a fast learner but have no idea where to start or what to do? There's no way we can afford for me not to be working right now so an apprentaship is my only real option. Can anyone offer any advice at all or point me in the right direction?

If you can't live on your current wage then you wouldn't stand a chance on apprentice wage.

In that position I'd look to do three years of evening classes to gain qualifications thus allowing you to continue in current job. Then approach said friend and offer to work alongside him at weekends etc. It may mean shuffling your hours at work but at least you'll get best of both. It will also give you the opportunity to ask questions outside of classroom, and see if you're suited to being a sparky as it's not for everyone.

Nothing's too late but I suggest you ask your mate if you can do some work experience with him to see if it suits you before investing the time and money.

Go to you local college, try to avoid training centres and short courses and start with the 2365 (2330)lv2.

It's tough out here especially with young children.

Good luck

Its never to late to try anything....

But the overall success of what you intend to change to will be significantly influenced by your previous experiences and knowledge...

i.e.  a good grasp of physics, maths, electrical science and practical hands on tinkering with electrical related circuits is a major boost to your success

A lot of courses only teach you about wiring regulations which does NOT teach you how to be a good electrician..

Just as you can know the highway code inside out but be rubbish at driving!

If or when you are trying to design a circuit (e.g. put a quote together) for a proposed building that does not exist yet..

Or fault find on a circuit someone else installed 20 years ago..

then the fundamental underpinning knowledge is essential.

Are you looking at being employed?  -  Have you looked at what vacancies there are local to you.

Or are you looking at self employment?  -  have you done a thorough review of the overheads of running a business..

Unless your friend is the manager of a company who can offer you some guaranteed employment,

then I would take what they say with bit of sceptisim...

Wanting to change career and getting employment in a new career (with equal of higher pay) is a big challenge,

and may not be as easy as you think.

changing shop for a payrise might be a lot easier? Don't get too suckered by the idea of earning big bucks as a sparky. Wages can be very variable and somewhat seasonal to boot. Site work is only paying low money and is also only temporary at best

Cheers everyone, this is exactly the honest advice I've been looking for. I think night classes and work experience are the way for me. I'd prefer the security of employment to being self employed if I'm honest.

I'll go talk to my local colleges and see what's available, then get the feelers out there for volunteer work either with my friend or other sparkies.

Honestly, thanks so much, can't tell you how I've been wracking my brains about this the last few weeks.

Sorry to pile another negative here - there is no security in being employed - certainly no more than being self employed. If the firm has no work, youll be laid off, simple as that. Any firm that keeps employees on when there is nothing for them soon goes down the pan too, taking the employees with it.

I know this from bitter experience :(

The reality is if you do work for a firm for any length of time and things go baps up then you should have gained sufficient experience to open other doors.

Take no notice of the monkey, he's often found with paddler, so they'll always be someone willing to help! :)

a steady wage is very appealing despite many years of SE and many years in the failing manufacturing industry where redundancy money was regarded, by me, as part of my income. Without the wifes staedy wages I could not have retrained.

Never too late, I didn't start until I was 27, with a mortgage and a child on the way!

I was lucky enough to fall in with a company who paid (albeit not much) while I trained so was gaining experience as I went along.

Been at it for 8 years now and love it, was going to go SE later this year and had been building up to that until a local firm approached me with a really good opportunity!

Going to give them a go, if it works then happy days, if not then I'll pursue the SE route.

If it's what you want to do then go for it by whatever means suits you best. No doubt your mate would be happy to have you along to help out and you'd get hands on experience.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do!

27 is young, in my days as an apprentice you did not finish until 21, so you have time to cram it all in.

You need hands on though as there are far to many that have done the course, start saying they are Electricians but with no clue out on the job.