What age to spay my *****?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stafford

Reaction score
Hi

What age would you recommend having my Staff done, She's about 6 months old. I'm not comfortable getting her done at this age, I was thinking about 12 months old would be good and about 3 months after her cycle?

Cheers... ;)

Also, when you do get her done she puts on weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok having a litter of puppies is BAD and POSSIBLY HARMFUL. It is an old myth and there is no evidence of any benifit!

Please not more unwanted puppies in the world.

HiWhat age would you recommend having my Staff done, She's about 6 months old. I'm not comfortable getting her done at this age, I was thinking about 12 months old would be good and about 3 months after her cycle?

Cheers... ;)
Firstly - welcome to the forum :)

This is an area that causes much confusion and argument especially between vets. There has been much research done into this.

The issues:

If you spay a ***** before her first season the chances of her getting mammary tumours is almost zero. As the ***** has each season the chances of her getting mammary tumours increases, until middle age when there is no protective benefit (a 5 y/o ***** gets no protection).

If you spay a ***** before her first season there is a much higher chance of her suffering urinary incontinence, that will require treatment for life. Having just 1 season significantly reduces the chances of this. (although urinary incontinence is something we see occasionally in spayed bitched)

Around a third of unspayed bitches get a condition called pyometra where the womb becomes infected and full of puss. This requires an emergency spay when the ***** is old and sick and is therefore more expensive and a much higher risk.

My preference is to spay a ***** 3 months after her first season - I see it as a good compromise between reducing the risk of mammary tumours without a great chance of a dog peeing in the house for years!

If you want to know more I will be pleased to answer. Other vets may have different views!

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly - welcome to the forum :) This is an area that causes much confusion and argument especially between vets. There has been much research done into this.

The issues:

If you spay a ***** before her first season the chances of her getting mammary tumours is almost zero. As the ***** has each season the chances of her getting mammary tumours increases, until middle age when there is no protective benefit (a 5 y/o ***** gets no protection).

If you spay a ***** before her first season there is a much higher chance of her suffering urinary incontinence, that will require treatment for life. Having just 1 season significantly reduces the chances of this. (although urinary incontinence is something we see occasionally in spayed bitched)

Around a third of unspayed ******* get a condition called pyometra where the womb becomes infected and full of puss. This requires an emergency spay when the ***** is old and sick and is therefore more expensive and a much higher risk.

My preference is to spay a ***** 3 months after her first season - I see it as a good compromise between reducing the risk of mammary tumours without a great chance of a dog peeing in the house for years!

If you want to know more I will be pleased to ask. Other vets may have different views!
Thank you Patch. Our puppy has not had her first season yet this sounds good advice.

Batty

That's great, thanks for the reply. More or less the same advice I've had from other vets and stuff I've read, always good to get plenty of opinions!

I think she may have had her first season, although it was difficult to tell? She had a little swelling around the vulva and weeped a little but nothing that significant and her mood wasn't really any different. She's only just recovering from Demodex, so I need her 100% before I consider surgery for her!

Having pups is a definite 'no-no'! Both our Stafford's are rescue dogs. My partner and I do some voluntary work in our spare time at a canine rescue centre, a little walking and some rehab. There are way to many dogs that need a home in this country, without adding to them....especially Stafford's!

Many thanks for your speedy reply!

Stu&Sar