Armeg Screwdriver Set

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
So, today my evaluation set arrived, ready for a beasting

The case is well made, if not a little on the chunky side. Space inside for a torque handle and a setting tool. If the handles were all fitted with a bit there would still not be enough space to accomodate all the available bits. The case is quite large and would have benefitted from some form of handle as it takes a "full grip" to hold/carry it

image.jpg

Kit contains

1 of each......POZI plus/minus numbers 1 and 2. NOT PHILIPS HEAD VERSION, TWO SLOTTED, and unfortunately in my case TWO Number 2 standard POZI bits....instead of a 1 and 2

T handle, standard handle

Both handles are chunky, feel 'right' in the hand with a positive lock for the bits. It does not feel like they will fall out in use...unlike thw WIHA version

The T handle feels like you could easily shear a head off as the grip is so good...in fact it is probably the best I have used....AND VDE!

Two different methods of releasing the blades aon the two supplied handles...i would have thought a single standard method was better. BUT they both feel good

image.jpg

I have tried the blades within about 25 different types of MCB, RCBO which I have in stock...a slight issue arose.

There is quite a lot of insulation around the tip and this prevents the blade entering the tunnel terminals on

A). The neutral of a CED RCBO

B). Top terminal on the old style 'coloured toggle' Wylex NSB MCBs

C). Top terminal on the MEM RCD with the removable module

D). A few tunnel style terminals on sockets...cannot remember which

image.jpgimage.jpg. These are comparisons with my WIHA set

A lack of available bits could let this set down as there does not appear to be an option for Philips plus/minus, Torx or Hex

To be fair, there is no Philips plus/minus in my Wiha set, neither is there a hex option ( BUT i have not researched this as I have other kit which will do the job)

Additionaly the space taken up by this set is a lot greater than the Wiha offering.image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgrelative dimensions shown for comparison

I have compared this with Wiha as this is what I have for day to day use. The multiset lives in my Veto MC bag and the torque handle and setting tool live in the same bag BUT different compartment as I do not use it all the time

I Will,try it on site over the next week.

If anyone wants me to try something "specific".....but legal, then post on here and I will give it a shot if feasible

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review thus far kerch. looking forward to more :)

How did they work with electrium / wylex / craptree RCBO's?
Not got any of them to test against....but I can vernier the insulation outer diam if you want?

But from the ones I have tested so far...if it is "set back" it wont fit

Also, it was a PP fit on old style SqD MCBs...the ones with the 'U' clips on the back. BUT these were brougt out 25 years ago WELL before the actual DRIVER was made. A std Ph2 would have fitted...but not yet available

the bulky insulation is a big let down, i was quite interested until i saw the chunky insulation.

My Wiha or Wira set i got from megga mark has the flush insulation and is the only drivers i have that will fit the set back terminals in RCBOs

I have some ,of the Wera sets as well.

One slimline set. 15/16 piec.

Same in the original chunky version and the smaller chunky version that lives in the Fluke MFT box for convenience.

It is a Royal PITA when you cannot get the blades into,the terminals

I only have the Wiha stuff as I originally was given a Schneider set ( which is Wiha ) chunky. So,I got the walleted set when CPC were selling them at a silly price.,then I found they did not fit my orignal Torque handle as it needed an adapter. Contacted Wiha UK and they sent me one foc. Then I Saw the multi bit in- the-handle,set and so my affair with Wiha began.-

As stated before the Wiha bit holding system is a bit weary and bits are prone to fall out. The Armeg and the wera are a LOT more

positive. Armeg is probably the better of the two,for positivity

Good job kerching.

Have you checked whether the torque settings are accurate between wiha and armeg? ie tighten a screw with one, check it with the other at same setting and vice versa.

Also, if the insulation of the wiha bits is flush, it suggests that the actual shank is less diameter. Do the wiha bits feel like they are twisting under higher torque? Although the head would probably go before the shank does.

Edit; oops, you don't have the armeg torque driver. doh!

Regarding Torque comparison with Wiha set.... I do not need to compare with the Wiha as I have a torque calibration tester AND i dont have the Armeg Torque driver as you somrightly pointed out. BUT I think I may well be buying one along witha couple of Std Ph bits

Wylex,RCBO

I stopped using Wylex when they started to spontaneously combust....this was viewed by a minority of the population as being a problem with the plastic enclosure and NOT a problem with the pissh poor manufacturing and/or the limp wristed "zero,to hero" who fitted it

Anyway I Have found a WylexNSB16-B/1

So......PZ+\~2 no chance, number 1 YES

5.5 flat blade YES

Hole diam.......7.6mm

+/- driver diam....7.8mm

Pozi 2'driver insulation diam.....8.2mm!!.....that is NOT good

BUT I believe the Wylex Instructions say to use a PH2......as there is NO PH in the set this was a bit of a stumbling block

Just testing

You could trim a nads off the insulation to make it fit but....is that a good,idea?

I know what i would/will,do...but I am evaluating the set "as supplied" and NOT after modification.

TBH, I think Armeg need to get on the case for additional bits and slim tip bits, then it would be a market leader it seems.
Yep

Handles and attachment method are far superior to,the WIHA offering, probably slightly superior to the WERA version

The lack of blade variety AND thick insulation are big let downs. The blade choice being the tipping point as the insulation can be trimmed by a couple of mm

With the torque handle going up to 6 they would hammer the current market IF they brought out more blades INCL hex, Torx AND PH 1/2 Plus minus

Repairing some controls tomorrow so will see how much I can do with it before dropping back to Wiha

What a fantastic review and follow up questioning, now this is a forum at its best.

Apart from my initial F'up i now feel this will be a reasonable give away on our website but perhaps we wont sell that 

many as a stand alone item.

I will pass all this information on to Armeg and see if i can get a response to the comments.

I will send the Torque handle to Kerching so he can add this to the review. 

Mark....can you send me a Pz1 ( missing from supplied set) and a Ph 1 and Ph2 as well?

Today I decided to see how long it was before i had to "revert back to my Wiha Set" ( trust me on this, the Wiha has serious problems with blade retention and I have to TAPE the bits in!)... But this set has A LOT more bits..

Anyway I lasted less than 5 minutes and that included a chat with the MDs F attractive sister!

Machine cover was held on with Ph2s, idiot guard was HEX ( no help,fro Wiha as no Hex in set.)

All controls were Ph2... But it is a Jap machine, so to be expected

My opinions to date

Reduce insulation on larger sizes OR cut it back a bit.....reduction is better

More bit storage space in box

Increase range of bits to include.

Philips plus/minus. Two days in this has been a major draw back

Possibly supply 2 Ph bits as standard.....?

Develop a range of Torx and Hex bits. Up to T 30 and 3-8mm should suit most applications

I think the smaller frame Merlin Gerin/Schneider and GE MCCBs are recessed Hex heads....but it is a while,since i fitted any small ones,,they are usually the "shear heads"

Here is a suggestion....Nut Driver bits?

But in reality it is probably down to which market the tool is aimed at....majority of Electricians probably never need to work on torx, hex, etc. never mind having to Torque these up. i would imagine the tooling costs would be quite steep

Just......waiting to play with the torque hande

Just a thought... :)

I like the soft case that the wera/wiha drivers come in as you can put other things in like pencils, hex keys, bits and dare I say it a neon :eek:

Also they fit in the toolbag / pocket nicely.

just thinking...

Have to agree with regards to the bit retention on the Wiha set, its probably the only thing that lets it down for me. If the bit release could be locked in some way i would be a super happy bunny as it stands i may look at other options in the near future.

Edit

The Armeg set looks quite similar to Haupa's Torque Driver Set. 

Have to agree with regards to the bit retention on the Wiha set, its probably the only thing that lets it down for me. If the bit release could be locked in some way i would be a super happy bunny as it stands i may look at other options in the near future.

Edit

The Armeg set looks quite similar to Haupa's Torque Driver Set. 
do you know what.........?

believe it or not I have a HAUPA set [non torque] in my No Climb Fire Alarm servicing bag!....I thought I recognised the blades.

i will go and have a look later on and report back

well spotted

just thinking you can NEVER have too many driver sets