Ir Lim?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a job Monday easy peasy me thinks add a new socket in bedroom for medical equipment to facilitate a hospital discharge. how hard can it be???

How wrong can you be?! council property, db with old ge breakers missing cover, I can barely get the door open on the mantel but luckily all bonding in place and a Lucy PME all hidden by 30 years of lobbing **** in a cupboard!

Next problem is the lights are spured off the sockets with an fcu feeding the lighting for each room 70's style! some of the rooms are full crap and will make it difficult to access existing sockets.

I usually persevere with these things much to the detriment of my sanity.

Couldn't help thinking wouldn't it be easier to just put LIM on the IR results box?

I looked for guidance on this but came up empty handed, I'm not comfortable with the idea but what if you cant access the db or all the sockets what can you do?

:C

Last edited by a moderator:
IR @ 250V?

I do a lot of medical stuff in patients homes for the local Health Board.

You need to be pragmatic.

Patient needs to prepare the property for you.

What is the kit?

PM me if you wish or otherwise contact me out of the public eye, perhaps would be best.

IR @ 250V?

I do a lot of medical stuff in patients homes for the local Health Board.

You need to be pragmatic.

Patient needs to prepare the property for you.

What is the kit?

PM me if you wish or otherwise contact me out of the public eye, perhaps would be best.
Not worried about damaging equipment more about not achieving the desired results.

I usually soft test first to see if there is anything I had missed like a mouse deterrent or a phone charger somewhere?

I've worked on a lot of these old dB's in mantel units they are a ****** but never on one with so much **** piled up in front of it! Arghh :(

will try get someone to help me as the patients not gonna be much help.

The kit isn't all that exciting: teletare, hoist, & a hospital bed with air mattress.

We do a lot of this stuff but nothing ever all that interesting as that's for the big boy's. but would be interested to know what kind of stuff you do! :)

As long as you can access the main switch and one accessory, you could do a global IR test. If that's good then happy days.
but if I can't get to all the sockets / fcu's then I won't get accurate readings?

BTW, If you are thinking of a "LIM" on an EIC, don't even consider it, not allowed.
Wasn't thinking of doing it just wishing I could to save me all this work for one double socket! As I stated in the op I couldn't find anything that said otherwise but I'm probably looking in the wrong places - Got a colicky baby stuck to me and the yellow piss coloured book of dreams is in the van!

but if I can't get to all the sockets / fcu's then I won't get accurate readings?
You only need to test at one point in a circuit to do IR, the reading will be the same wherever you test. Normally that's the CU, but if you say you don't have access, then test at one socket that is accessible.

It's only if you get a poor reading that you need to consider if what might be plugged in is the cause of the poor reading, so worth a try.

Thanks for the advice, just gonna get my head down and get on with it!

I had a look through 7671, GN3 and 7671:2001 not a lot of info other than min values and two pages on testing walls and floors!

There was a note in GN3 about the new requirements for IR testing being introduced in 2008 but does not expand much further, it's in there I guess just not sure where.

:maria:   

The changes we have actually discussed on here in a round about way in another thread.

It's about IR'ing the cable to itself, then to earth then once installed before energising basically.