DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

Led Lamps Glowing !

Evans Electric

Evans Electric

Did we ever arrive at the cause of LED lamps glowing in the dark ?  

Call from a good customer ,  they bought  SES  LED lamps from Next Shop , don't know the make  , come darkness and they all glow in the dark until he turned off the MCB feeding that circuit . 

No dimmer switches ,  so is it cheapo lamps ,  induction ?   Picking up residual voltage from nearby cables ? 

I advised them to return them .....I've not had this with any lamps from wholesaler but did notice an alarming interference effect upon our  little site radio from just two LED lamps we had fitted .  Radio sitting about   2m  from the lamps  . 

Andy™

most likely inductance. try swapping one for a halogen and see if that fixes the problem

Blue Duck

I read that as LED lights growing FFS! :lol:

Evans Electric

Shoulda gone to Specsavers.

Shouda gone to Specsavers.

Evans Electric

most likely inductance. try swapping one for a halogen and see if that fixes the problem

Yes I've read that somewhere.     It never happens with the lamps we supply so wondering if they are cheapos .

We had a customer who could get everything "cheaper " than us  , including GU10 LED lamps  @ £3.00 from a Chinaman he knew in the city .  I remember even the box looked cheap  but never saw them in action as we fell out with the twonk and walked TBH .

If the neutral goes through the box at the back of the switch then you could fit a double pole switch, switching the N as well will stop the flickering.

Evans Electric

Ah   Worth knowing that  Marvo .  Thanks .

Sharpend

Alternatively use a 2way switch and Earth the switch live when off! Something I picked up off a more experienced chap than I

binky

clever

steptoe

Alternatively use a 2way switch and Earth the switch live when off! Something I picked up off a more experienced chap than I

but, dont use cheap cr0p switches,

sometimes they lag switching across and you have a short PL-E  

just something I learnt of an idiot,  :innocent

Sharpend

Shouldn't work in North Korea ;)

Evans Electric

OOoo!  thats interesting  Sharpie   ....earth wire into the strapper term eh !

Shouldn't work in North Korea ;)

He's developing their nuclear deterrent  you know .

Sharpend

Now I was thinking that an old dog like you deke would have known all the tricks then thought that LEDs are a new technology so maybe not, but finished with thinking 'who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks' :slap

Evans Electric

You're right on all counts except one there,  Sharpie :-   ;)

Yes I'm an old dog.

Yes LEDs are new technology .  No idea how they work ...I know they are energy savers..I know they should last a long time ... I know you need to look at the lumen output ...the wattage no longer indicates the brightness... I know you need to choose dimmers carefully & thats about it . 

Yes you CAN teach SOME  old dogs new tricks :innocent

What is the odd one you ask ?   None of us know ALL the tricks ...... all of us know some of the tricks... and ...erm... some know sod all and never learn. ! 

Over the years I've met sparks who:- 

Didn't know what an intermediate switch was.

Can't read building drawings

Can't read schematics

Can't make pyros off.

Maintain you cannot pass a neutral through a switch box .

Maintain you cannot run cables horizontally between sockets .

Thought you had fit an RCD in a toilet  (Because of all the water :C )

Foreman who always connected 3 phase sw/fuses etc.  Blue - Yellow- Red   from Left to Right

Guys who lose control of their bowels when they discover a power circuit that is anything other than a ring main.  

Guy who installs 4 (Yes four)  rings in a small semi ................(Just in case  :C  )  

Guy who gets the plumber to insert 6 " of copper pipe into a fully plastic system  ( So that he can bond it :C )

Guys who thought you could wire loads of 12V downlights in doorbell cable  ( Because its only 12V  :C )

Engineer who had an earth bond run to the metal half shell of a rubber doorstop screwed to the floor of a toilet. 

Engineer who had us put earth bond jumpers between that flimsy shiny foil on the outside of pipe lagging in a boiler room  :C

I could go on .

Sharpend

Deke you need too steer clear of them there 5ww's, they'll drive you mad son.

but quite right on none of us know everything ;)

ProDave

There's a simpler way, assuming it's loop an switch.

PL in to L1

N to L2

SWL out from COM.  

So when the light is on, it's L, but when it's off, it's firmly strapped to N

No problems with switch delay as in step's suggestion.

steptoe

There's a simpler way, assuming it's loop an switch.

PL in to L1

N to L2

SWL out from COM.  

So when the light is on, it's L, but when it's off, it's firmly strapped to N

No problems with switch delay as in step's suggestion.

Dave, that's exactly how I connected it up,

Cheapo knitsbridge switches. I thought I was saving having to use a connector at the switch. 

Evans Electric

Deke you need too steer clear of them there 5ww's, they'll drive you mad son.

but quite right on none of us know everything ;)

No Sharpie,  this was before 5WW,s  & Part Pee was ever thought of ,  these were timed served guys.

The other thing with new LED technology is  where I would , say,  take a look at a workshop lighting job.....& think , off top of head,   thats ten twin 5ft fluoro's down each side  , following those purlins  .   It just looks right  & usually it IS right.

Couldn't do that using LED lighting  although  I 've got used to LED downlights for bathrooms & kitchens etc

Sharpend

So what's all the fuss about? By your own example it clearly demonstrates that the 5ww are being taught by these retired time served guys!

Evans Electric

No fuss , just saying .

Sharpend

Sorry deke wasn't aimed at you, was just saying that there is so much fuss about the exploits of 5ww's but clearly your examples of time served sparks show that the standards have always been questionable?

Evans Electric

Thanks for that .    :Salute

Yes its a point I'd not thought too much about before ,  but looking back ,  there were some , what I'd call,  really good sparks but the old system also failed some I think.

There are a few factors :-

1. Apprentices picked up the thoughts , bad habits & misconceptions of the guys they worked under. 

2. Some firms had their own ideas and practices which caused apprentices to carry them with them as they moved on .

3.  Something that still occurs today .........apprentti could , (& I've seen this) serve their time on , say a massive trunking installation , they'd be brilliant 

at installing , setting , steel 3 comp. 12"  X 4"  trunking but nothing else .     Certain firms in this area only did new housing projects  & thats what their 

blokes were good at ...leave you standing on a first fix house  but couldn't set a bit of conduit to save their life.   Some served their time on blocks of

flats that went up .

4.   And I think some sparks have  misconceived certain things when learning the trade  and carried it with them . 

5.   I did an earlier thread touching on this stuff.....  had a subby screaming at me that I knew nothing because I questioned

why he refused to bring a conduit into the bottom of a switch box then tube out of the top  up to some lights ...and also

he refused to tube through metal twin socket boxes  horizontally ....insisted on fitting a tee box & bushing the socket to it .

In his world you can't run cables through accessory boxes .

6.   Also stuff like a neigbouring local authority to here refused to accept 3 plating at light fittings or switches so singles had to be used  .    I still meet sparks who think this is the only way .

binky

there's a lot of non-sense talked about by those who can't be arsed to keep learning or even try learning things for their own self-improvement. This is why I tend to defend some of the fooolish types we encounter on here - at least they are trying to learn and are asking questions.

Evans Electric

I agree with that entirely Binky.........I have now learned 3 ways  how to stop LED lamps glowing in the dark.

binky

like wise Deke, I like the cunning switch arrangements.

Archived