Switched From Economy 10 To Single Rate Tariff

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennypower1985

Reaction score
Hi,

I have switched from an economy 10 tariff. to a single rate tariff. EON have switched my meter for a single rate meter. I have no gas supply to the property, just electric.

I dont have storage heaters, only electric panel heaters. I have a dual immersion heater, one at the bottom of the tank connected to off peak and one near the top connected to peak rate. I have a consumer unit that has peak on one side and off peak on the other. The immersion heater is the only appliance that was connected to the off peak part of the consumer unit.

When eon switched my meter they disconnected the off peak supply to the consumer unit. This means there is no electricity supply to the bottom immersion heater. The top immersion heater continues to work just fine.

My question is whether I need to have the now redundant bottom immersion disconnected from the no longer active off peak part of my consumer unit and connected to the main part of the unit or if I can continue to use my 180l cylinder with just one immersion working.

Also, I don't have a timer for the immersion heater. Would it be worth me getting one of these?

Please - no comments about how it would be cheaper to have stayed on an economy 10 or 7 tariff. I've spent a long time researching my choice to switch and am satisfied it the right one. We do not have storage heaters and we only used the white goods and panel heaters during the more expensive peak rates.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

There are numerous ways this can be corrected from putting a Henley block on the meter tails to moving the flex connections on the immersion. Do you intend doing this yourself ?

You will not get a full cylinder of hot water without the bottom immersion working

If the bottom heater was the only circuit on the off peak side, then if there is a spare way on the main CU it could simply be transferred over to that.

Do you have a bath?  If not then you probably never need the full tank of water anyway.

P.S DNO's usually leave a right mess of redundant tails behind when they do a rate swap, so chances are you could do with an electrician to discinnect and tidy up the redundant tails to the off peak board.

Timer for the immersion would be a good idea, lagging the tank effectively even better, assuming your lagging is a bit out of date. Modern tanks will stay warm for days after an immersion is switched off.

Thanks all,

The tank is only a few years old, so I think it's well insulated. Do I need an electrician to transfer the bottom immersion from the off peak section in the CU to the main section? If so, does anyone have a rough guide price for this? If I have to wait a few weeks to get it done will that be ok or is it an urgent thing?

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't realise what you meant by lagging - I thought you mean insulated!

I'll look into the lagging - thank you!

Sorry - I didn't realise what you meant by lagging! I'll look into lagging!

Sorry - I didn't realise what you meant by lagging! I'll look into lagging!