DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Car Maintenance Dodge

Evans Electric

To replace timing belt .

Cut existing belt in half in situ.  along its length .

Remove outer bit .

Slide new belt onto the pullies .

Cut the old belt right off .

Push new belt on fully.

Cam shaft, crankshaft etc  all exactly in sync .

Nice idea, how easy to do is another question. :Applaud

I would have thought that was harder than just timing it properly.

Every belt I have done, has come with white lines on the back of the belt that line up with the timing marks on the pulleys so it's easy to see when the marks are in line.

To replace timing belt .

Cut existing belt in half in situ.  along its length .

Remove outer bit .

Slide new belt onto the pullies .

Cut the old belt right off .

Push new belt on fully.

Cam shaft, crankshaft etc  all exactly in sync .

good idea, but usually idler / pulley is replaced at the same time, so belt needs to be fully removed

Never mind water pump!

Sorry deke it's just that: a bodge

Just what I was told the other day . 

best use a different garage now Deke!

It wasn't my garage  but I can't see the problem myself .   Just posted it as a point of interest.

As others have said,

Should replace tensioners, there could also be other parts that should be changed or serviced during change.

Worth changing water pump, and flushing coolant, and possibly other items depending on the vehicle.

pay a proper garage to do it and get a warranty for the work which will cover the belt or tensioners breaking.

better still get a chain drive BMW and you wont need to change it so often.

Ive never met anyone yet that will give a warranty for a cam belt breaking, other than the price of the belt, which is nothing compared with needing an engine,

Ive never met anyone yet that will give a warranty for a cam belt breaking, other than the price of the belt, which is nothing compared with needing an engine,

My very good friend has worked for different motor factors for the last 20 years. He was telling me recently about a tensioner cock up the manufacturer made which resulted in the manufacturer having to pay to put it right.

Its the manufacturer that gives the warranty, provided it has been fitted correctly.

Yes a manufacturer fault then they can be expected to pay/resolve, but as for a garage giving warranty?

Yes a manufacturer fault then they can be expected to pay/resolve, but as for a garage giving warranty?

A garage will give a warranty for there work, and the manufacturer for there part.  I never said 'the Garage' gives the warranty.

If you have had a proper garage fit the part they supplied, and it goes wrong they can deal with the manufacturer to make it all right.

If you buy your own belt and do the Evens electric method or get a bloke down the pub to do it, the manufacturer can argue it was not fitted correctly.

Even though i can get parts cheaper then garages buy them i always let them supply cam belt so it is all there work and down to them to sort out.

When i fit electrical parts, if i supply them and it goes wrong i sort out the problem. If a customer supplies parts i can confirm i fitted them correctly but i do not feel the obligation to return any parts or deal with the manufacturer if i have not sold them.

ah,

so, if you fit a cable you supplied correctly, and it then allows a surge of electric to pass through which blows up the customers 2K plasma TV

are you obliged to replace their tv for them?

thats not a brilliant example, but a similar scenario,

the garage doesnt know if you have abused the cam belt or not, and yes, you can abuse them.

ah,

so, if you fit a cable you supplied correctly, and it then allows a surge of electric to pass through which blows up the customers 2K plasma TV

are you obliged to replace their tv for them?

thats not a brilliant example, but a similar scenario,

the garage doesnt know if you have abused the cam belt or not, and yes, you can abuse them.

that is a lame example. I would speak to the DNO about a power surge.

If say i fitted some MCB's that were made by a company like Wylex for example, and it turned out they were faulty. I would expect Wylex to cover the costs of replacement. If the fictional MCB did cause a fire, and i fitted it correctly i would expect the house insurance and Wylex to argue over who has to pay. If it was me who fitted the MCB incorrectly, by not using a torque screwdriver for example, then i would expect them to hassle my insurance.  I am no legal expert, this is the illusion i believe,  i do not know if it is true. Mabey it would just be tough luck for the home owner.

There was a post on here about woolworths in Oz supplying cable which turned out to be fake, and they have to foot the bill to change it all.

When my new van needs it cambelt changing i will get it done by a proper garage with proper parts as i believe if anything goes wrong it will be down to them to sort out. I dont know the full legalities of who has to pay for what, what i do know is that my friend has had to deal with a faulty part they supplied and the manufacturer covered all costs. I also assume if the garage did something wrong they will correct it. I am aware a small garage or sole trader would be harder to get anything out of them, but if i go with a more established company i am much more likely to get the issue resolved.

If you are happy with the Evans method to change your belt, that is fine with me.

My BMW does not need its belt changed as it has a chain, though it is going in for a free airbag recall on Thursday which i think is pretty good of them to do for a 14 year old car.

just do your own maintenance and make sure you fit it correctly...

even easier when you have the full service manuals though

Another old bodge was from years back, with cars with many fan belts, such as the Jag V12 & BMW rather than spend hours  removing and refitting belts to get to the inner one, simply put the new belt  across  the crease  between the belts and pullies at an inward angle and turn the engine over . This pulls the new belt in under the existing. Some mechanic friends say they  only use this  method at the side of the road to avoid a tow in.

if your at the side of the road and need to replace a belt to avoid towing it, chances are its being replaced at the side of the road because the existing isnt there any more. or if it is, its in shreds

A garage will give a warranty for there work, and the manufacturer for there part.  I never said 'the Garage' gives the warranty.

If you have had a proper garage fit the part they supplied, and it goes wrong they can deal with the manufacturer to make it all right.

If you buy your own belt and do the Evens electric method or get a bloke down the pub to do it, the manufacturer can argue it was not fitted correctly.

Even though i can get parts cheaper then garages buy them i always let them supply cam belt so it is all there work and down to them to sort out.

When i fit electrical parts, if i supply them and it goes wrong i sort out the problem. If a customer supplies parts i can confirm i fitted them correctly but i do not feel the obligation to return any parts or deal with the manufacturer if i have not sold them.

Excuse me Mr Pewter  :tongue in cheek  ;)   Can you not refer to this as the Evans Electric method   ,  I do not hold the patents for this and was merely told the method . :C

Perhaps it is a "Get you home method "    ;)   Like the old  pair of tights to replace fan belt ruse. 

Theres also something I wasn't aware of , on the subject of motoring ,  alloy wheels get stuck to the wheel hubs , didn't know that till I had a puncture ...had to sit on the floor & kick it loose with both feet  :o

not just alloys... easier to give it a whack with a sledge hammer

I did the brakes on my F-I-Laws car last weekend  & smeared copper ease  on the hub face as it took a good few whacks with the persuader to get the alloys off

if your at the side of the road and need to replace a belt to avoid towing it, chances are its being replaced at the side of the road because the existing isnt there any more. or if it is, its in shreds

The old Jag had 5 belts

The old Jag had 5 belts

My Landrover doesn't keep it's wheels on long enough for them to get stuck. I had them off twice last week doing brake pads and then the calliper slider that was seized and had a knackered rubber gaiter.

I spoke with my friend today and asked him about the incident.

A Ford transit had its cam belt changed, with a kit supplied by Motex (motor factors). The engine was destroyed a bit later. The manufacturers usually request nothing is touched on the engine so they can send a technician out to examine the damage. BGA who supplied the kit in this case was happy for the garage who fitted the kit to send requested parts to them. When items like this fail the manufacturer can usually determine why by examining the damage.  

Motex paid £1500 to have the engine rebuilt and all labour costs from the garage so the customer could get there vehicle back on the road as quick as possible. When BGA had confirmed the fault was due to a tensioner that was supplied in the cam belt kit they paid Motex the £1500 that it cost to rebuild the engine and refitted.

Cases like this are rare but when it does happen the manufacturer, motor factors and garage try to get the customers vehicle back on the road with minimum inconvenience and no cost to the customer.

You can change the part yourself and still claim for damage if a fault in the manufacturers part happens, but you can not claim for your own labour. If you are an amateur you will have to hope you have fitted it correctly.

This is why with things like a cambelt i think it is best to let a reputable garage supply and fit the part, so if there is a fault they can just take care of everything.

Back in the day when money was shorter than it is now I used to do all my car repairs. That was the main reason 35 years ago we bought the house we are in now ...it has a 3 car garage, and a workshop.

However now that I Have fractionally more money now I get the garage to do all the repairs and servicing. As long as my hourly rate is greater than the garages i am happy.if i have to fix it myself then that is lost time that I could be earning

Just saving

You have an hourly rate greater than a garage!!!!!!

Just dreaming!

Archived