Car Maintenance Dodge

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To replace timing belt .

Cut existing belt in half in situ.  along its length .

Remove outer bit .

Slide new belt onto the pullies .

Cut the old belt right off .

Push new belt on fully.

Cam shaft, crankshaft etc  all exactly in sync .

I would have thought that was harder than just timing it properly.

Every belt I have done, has come with white lines on the back of the belt that line up with the timing marks on the pulleys so it's easy to see when the marks are in line.

To replace timing belt .

Cut existing belt in half in situ.  along its length .

Remove outer bit .

Slide new belt onto the pullies .

Cut the old belt right off .

Push new belt on fully.

Cam shaft, crankshaft etc  all exactly in sync .
good idea, but usually idler / pulley is replaced at the same time, so belt needs to be fully removed

As others have said,

Should replace tensioners, there could also be other parts that should be changed or serviced during change.

Worth changing water pump, and flushing coolant, and possibly other items depending on the vehicle.

pay a proper garage to do it and get a warranty for the work which will cover the belt or tensioners breaking.

better still get a chain drive BMW and you wont need to change it so often.

Ive never met anyone yet that will give a warranty for a cam belt breaking, other than the price of the belt, which is nothing compared with needing an engine,

Ive never met anyone yet that will give a warranty for a cam belt breaking, other than the price of the belt, which is nothing compared with needing an engine,
My very good friend has worked for different motor factors for the last 20 years. He was telling me recently about a tensioner cock up the manufacturer made which resulted in the manufacturer having to pay to put it right.

Its the manufacturer that gives the warranty, provided it has been fitted correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a manufacturer fault then they can be expected to pay/resolve, but as for a garage giving warranty?
A garage will give a warranty for there work, and the manufacturer for there part.  I never said 'the Garage' gives the warranty.

If you have had a proper garage fit the part they supplied, and it goes wrong they can deal with the manufacturer to make it all right.

If you buy your own belt and do the Evens electric method or get a bloke down the pub to do it, the manufacturer can argue it was not fitted correctly.

Even though i can get parts cheaper then garages buy them i always let them supply cam belt so it is all there work and down to them to sort out.

When i fit electrical parts, if i supply them and it goes wrong i sort out the problem. If a customer supplies parts i can confirm i fitted them correctly but i do not feel the obligation to return any parts or deal with the manufacturer if i have not sold them.

ah,

so, if you fit a cable you supplied correctly, and it then allows a surge of electric to pass through which blows up the customers 2K plasma TV

are you obliged to replace their tv for them?

thats not a brilliant example, but a similar scenario,

the garage doesnt know if you have abused the cam belt or not, and yes, you can abuse them.

ah,

so, if you fit a cable you supplied correctly, and it then allows a surge of electric to pass through which blows up the customers 2K plasma TV

are you obliged to replace their tv for them?

thats not a brilliant example, but a similar scenario,

the garage doesnt know if you have abused the cam belt or not, and yes, you can abuse them.
that is a lame example. I would speak to the DNO about a power surge.

If say i fitted some MCB's that were made by a company like Wylex for example, and it turned out they were faulty. I would expect Wylex to cover the costs of replacement. If the fictional MCB did cause a fire, and i fitted it correctly i would expect the house insurance and Wylex to argue over who has to pay. If it was me who fitted the MCB incorrectly, by not using a torque screwdriver for example, then i would expect them to hassle my insurance.  I am no legal expert, this is the illusion i believe,  i do not know if it is true. Mabey it would just be tough luck for the home owner.

There was a post on here about woolworths in Oz supplying cable which turned out to be fake, and they have to foot the bill to change it all.

When my new van needs it cambelt changing i will get it done by a proper garage with proper parts as i believe if anything goes wrong it will be down to them to sort out. I dont know the full legalities of who has to pay for what, what i do know is that my friend has had to deal with a faulty part they supplied and the manufacturer covered all costs. I also assume if the garage did something wrong they will correct it. I am aware a small garage or sole trader would be harder to get anything out of them, but if i go with a more established company i am much more likely to get the issue resolved.

If you are happy with the Evans method to change your belt, that is fine with me.

My BMW does not need its belt changed as it has a chain, though it is going in for a free airbag recall on Thursday which i think is pretty good of them to do for a 14 year old car.

Another old bodge was from years back, with cars with many fan belts, such as the Jag V12 & BMW rather than spend hours  removing and refitting belts to get to the inner one, simply put the new belt  across  the crease  between the belts and pullies at an inward angle and turn the engine over . This pulls the new belt in under the existing. Some mechanic friends say they  only use this  method at the side of the road to avoid a tow in.

if your at the side of the road and need to replace a belt to avoid towing it, chances are its being replaced at the side of the road because the existing isnt there any more. or if it is, its in shreds

A garage will give a warranty for there work, and the manufacturer for there part.  I never said 'the Garage' gives the warranty.

If you have had a proper garage fit the part they supplied, and it goes wrong they can deal with the manufacturer to make it all right.

If you buy your own belt and do the Evens electric method or get a bloke down the pub to do it, the manufacturer can argue it was not fitted correctly.

Even though i can get parts cheaper then garages buy them i always let them supply cam belt so it is all there work and down to them to sort out.

When i fit electrical parts, if i supply them and it goes wrong i sort out the problem. If a customer supplies parts i can confirm i fitted them correctly but i do not feel the obligation to return any parts or deal with the manufacturer if i have not sold them.
Excuse me Mr Pewter 
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
  ;)    Can you not refer to this as the Evans Electric method   ,  I do not hold the patents for this and was merely told the method . :C

Perhaps it is a "Get you home method "    ;)   Like the old  pair of tights to replace fan belt ruse. 

Theres also something I wasn't aware of , on the subject of motoring ,  alloy wheels get stuck to the wheel hubs , didn't know that till I had a puncture ...had to sit on the floor & kick it loose with both feet  :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: