DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

The Wife Wouldn't Let Me Buy One...........

Onoff

So been spending so quality shed time. Work in progress:

post-16173-0-65486500-1432053998_thumb.j

post-16173-0-13253200-1432054037_thumb.j

post-16173-0-16973400-1432054092_thumb.j

post-16173-0-98858500-1432054112_thumb.j

Just learning to weld again after +30 years!

Aka, still haven't got a life!  :lol:

that looks terrifying. some kinda of bodged DIY wacker?!

also, i cant see any evidence of welding. looks more like putting a few bolts in...

and if you want it welded professionally, dont bring it to me... although i do have a lovely pink coloured powder paint....

I'm not surprised she wouldn't let you buy one! What is it?

bit keen for a hamster wheel

'Tis indeed a DIY wacker plate. First proper welding I've attempted in over 30 years. Find it goes better after a couple of cans tbh. Should get onto the simple single to three phase circuit over the next couple of days:

post-16173-0-05423200-1432055993_thumb.j

probably need a heavier bit of steel

i have a 16kg breaker. i welded a hex bit of steel the same as the bits with a big lump of steel at the bottom to use as a small wacker

and as for your welding, turn the current up a little, its not hot enough

probably need a heavier bit of steel

i have a 16kg breaker. i welded a hex bit of steel the same as the bits with a big lump of steel at the bottom to use as a small wacker

and as for your welding, turn the current up a little, its not hot enough

8mm base plate & will have upturned curved or angled edges added. Aiming for about 26kg all in - same as the Evolution Hulk 5kN leccy one. No chance of whacking the current up - only got HIGH or LOW. Am going to put it on it's own breaker though as eating 13A fuses:

post-16173-0-08039800-1432058054_thumb.j

high or low isnt much use, you need better control than that. your weld will be weaker than it should and a lot more likely to fail, especially with the vibration it will get. my stick is fully adjustable to 10-300a...

what do you plan on wacking? 26kg is very light, possibly too light

Just a reminder that the trial run MUST be on you tube  :Applaud

high or low isnt much use, you need better control than that. your weld will be weaker than it should and a lot more likely to fail, especially with the vibration it will get. my stick is fully adjustable to 10-300a...

what do you plan on wacking? 26kg is very light, possibly too light

The bathroom floor:

post-16173-0-68222400-1432061549_thumb.j

IF it works but isn't heavy enough then it should be easy enough to ADD another thick plate on the bottom.

Just a reminder that the trial run MUST be on you tube  :Applaud

That's another bl@@dy new fangled thing I've go to figure. My only attempts at uploading video clips to YouTube have been from digital cameras and poor quality! Will have to ask my 16yr old.

here's me thinking you were now doing block paving...

here's me thinking you were now doing block paving...

The drive's coming later!

The good thing is that totting up all the projects I've got to do vs years left, I'll be long dead before they're all finished!  :lol:

work harder?! but you will need a bigger wacker for that...

work harder?! but you will need a bigger wacker for that...

Yep. I can borrow a petrol one for the outside jobs but where's the fun in "ready made"!  :lol:

Ah yes...."the wife wouldn't let me buy one" paradox

I like to turn this on its head, i call it "What,,THIS old thing....."

She comes down wearing new shoes....."when did you get those?"

Her reply...."oh these old things, I bought them for XYZ that we went to. Have not worn them for years"

I just buy something, kick,it about a bit, looks like I Have had it for years

Just advising

Ah yes...."the wife wouldn't let me buy one" paradox

I like to turn this on its head, i call it "What,,THIS old thing....."

She comes down wearing new shoes....."when did you get those?"

Her reply...."oh these old things, I bought them for XYZ that we went to. Have not worn them for years"

I just buy something, kick,it about a bit, looks like I Have had it for years

Just advising

Something else the wife would never let me "do":

post-16173-0-88249000-1432066084_thumb.j

Something else the wife would never let me "do":

attachicon.gif28C9612D00000578-0-image-a-42_1431885045931.jpg

Oh that old thing?

She moved into,the spare room months ago, i am sure I Told you dearest?

Just hoping

she only got the spare room!?

she only got the spare room!?

Well, when I say spare room I Actually meant secret inescapable dungeon

Mind you....I could tie her up next to the cooker or Hoover and she would never find her!

Well, when I say spare room I Actually meant secret inescapable dungeon

Have you been taking lessons from steps? I hope you tidy up yours more than he does, his is full of empty cans of carlsberg. :D

Just speaking from experience...

I would expect part of the incumbent's remit , after she had brought me the beverage in a hand crafted crytal flute, would be to tidy away all the mess

Just saying

• 2 weeks later...

Feel free mods to move to the Student section as I might be asking numpty questions here:

So, I'm lashing together this electric wacker plate. Using a scrapped (I've now repaired) 3-phase motor, this is the plate:

post-16173-0-46348200-1433346409_thumb.j

Now, in my day job I only now ever deal with 3-phase motors off a 400V supply, mainly star, some double star wired and the odd delta. Everything is on an inverter too. Years back did a lot on 230V single phase capacitor start / run stuff but not any more.

I'm connecting the above motor up in delta as per the circuit below. Basically hold in the Start button until it's up to speed then let go, back feed thru the cap keeps the coil closed:

post-16173-0-36992500-1433346690.jpg

Current through the Start and what will be permanently in circuit Stop button is my concern. All the NO/NC contact blocks I have are rated 3A. I assume I'll only be pulling 3.2A at full load (as there's only one phase)? But start up (and stall currents) will be higher. Thinking to maybe double up and put the contact blocks in parallel or run through another contactor?

Just roughing it out for fit:

post-16173-0-38855300-1433346941_thumb.j

post-16173-0-20461700-1433346962_thumb.j

Cheers

Welding...

You want full on then.. Use a 3.2 6013 rod with the rod connected to the positive. When you strike up, make a little weld pool and fuse both edges before you set off. Once going keep the rod jammed in the very corner, actually very lightly touching the plate. You will then most likely need a second run next to it [making the horizontal leg longer than the vertical] and then a third run in the "new" corner if you like, only this time a slightly, and i mean slightly longer arc length.

You want it to look like this...

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/resistance87/GC136.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/resistance87/GC137.jpg

john..

That was 3 runs, a 3.2 rod and about 112 - 115 amps on DC neg...

Here is some angle to plate, bit like you are doing..

This is with a single run using a 4.00mm rod [6013] on AC and running about 160A from memory..

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/resistance87/MR11%20I%20was%20welding%20in%20a%20day%20in%20the%20past.jpg

john...

Welding...

You want full on then.. Use a 3.2 6013 rod with the rod connected to the positive. When you strike up, make a little weld pool and fuse both edges before you set off. Once going keep the rod jammed in the very corner, actually very lightly touching the plate. You will then most likely need a second run next to it [making the horizontal leg longer than the vertical] and then a third run in the "new" corner if you like, only this time a slightly, and i mean slightly longer arc length.

You want it to look like this...

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/resistance87/GC136.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/resistance87/GC137.jpg

john..

That was 3 runs, a 3.2 rod and about 112 - 115 amps on DC neg...

Lovely bit of welding there John! Not just my opinion, I have a fair bit of TIG done for me commercially on ali and st/st and know a good weld when I see one! Keen to have a bash myself though. Just sent the cheapo buzz box back and got a full refund. Looking at this one:

http://www.weldequip.com/parweld-xti160.htm

What do you reckon?

Archived