Lighting Agricultural Building

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys

Looking at building a 13mX20m portal framed 'agricultural' building. Will be used for lambing sheep etc.

What would be the suggestion for lighting? I would want to be able to read a newspaper, but we are not looking for operating theatre quality lighting throughout!

Three phase is available

Need relatively instant light so sodium lighting is out.

There is a second larger shed with fluorescent tubes. Would it be worth swapping them over too?

Many thanks guys

Yer, didn't notice the wanting light before you switched it on bit,   :C   

LED then, or, those fancy new oil lamps, they are quite good too,   :D  

LED flood type? Something better than that? LED fluorescent replacements?

How do you decide how many to buy - is there a calculator or do you buy 4, stick them up and see if it is bright enough?!

I did a lambing shed around that size  but used 4 No.  Metal Halide  ( White light)  lowbay fittings .  They didn't ask for instant light there. 

Some of the LED  fittings used by guys at my wholesaler are having to be returned TBH .  Bloke put 30 ( I think) in an office  & had to replace 5 .  

Metal Halides would be up full in about 2 minutes I'd guess , is that no good ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue is midnight when we roll up to lamb a sheep and want to get on and get out. Also if going in to check on a patient quickly.

Some of these lights leave you in the dark for 5 minutes if you accidentally switch them off and want them back on.

That is no good.

You're right there Patche , switch them off & you have to wait for the lamp to cool berfore they're back on again .

What about what Stepps says ?

I'm not up to speed with LED fittings yet ,  don't know how good they are , how reliable they are TBH  . 

In an emergency I'd say  a couple of old fashioned , 400W  Tungsten Halogen floods TBH  .

I did a large warehouse where the staff entered via a door miles from the bank of light switches ...so a time delay switch put  four TH floods on for 5 mins while they walked through to the switches.

I would go LED and not mess about with any 'old' technologies. IP rated floods would be my starting point monted around where the roof meets the top of the walls. There are various on-line lux calculators, the name of which I immediately forget, that will help you decide lux level required. Might also be worth looking at 'natural daylight' to get full colour rendition if you think that would help with what you are doing. I also understand this may help keep you awake in the wee small hours - brain reaction etc etc

I think Binky has done a load of low energy stuff. He puts it on his Facebook page.
certainly have been, apart form the obvious energy savings, they should last 5 times longer, plus LED isn't over priced anymore.

found it!

http://www.relux.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=216&Itemid=189〈=en

Just yesterday I fitted two 6ft Philips LED strip lights in my workshop, they are mounted about 9ft from the floor. I am impressed with them, nice and bright, instant light and low energy.

this sort of thing, but would look for 5 year warranty

http://www.lightingever.co.uk/150w-high-power-led-flood-lights-dw.html

other point to remember Apache, is the higher you mount the fittngs the lower the illumination at floor level, that is why you see a lot of florries in factories dangling on chains. Whils this a bit more work to install, being overhead tends to give better illumination whre you are working. But easy route is floods on walls, you can always add more if required, and do check the angle of illumination. Too wide a spread + weak light. You get no 'halo effect' from LED, ie basically shines forward only, which is where some of the energy savings come from.

At 20m, I'm guessing it's four bays? A 30w LED flood at eaves level at each side of each bay (I.e. 8 in total) will give you plenty of light. We normally wire them 25/75% on two switches so that you can have a lower level of light (a night light), enough light to have a look around without causing too much disturbance.

I don't actually know, we are fitting these for a lighting design company, but they are Philips and defo won't appeal to your Yorkshire tendencies :slap :slap :slap

Piccies on Facebook, I'll post some on here later. The Church Tower has been condemed for H&S purposes (by a wimp if you ask me) so the only way to illuminate the Steeple and top of tower is big light on the ground. Should attact a few UFOs and other insterstella craft.....