DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Consumer Unit Numbering .

Evans Electric

I've always had a problem with the logic of this ...which I think started with the old Wylex 3036 brown  jobbies .

Their main switch was always on the right & in the cover they printed  " Counting from the right " 

Now I have this old fashioned way of counting which I learned at an equally old fashioned Sec. Mod. School that tends to start at the left and progress by units of 1 to the right .      The Wylex conundrum I learnt to deal with .

However , my mate ,along with a few others , on modern boards , main switch on the right , still number from that end which is OK unless they say " The circuit you want is No. 4 "     I go to the fourth one along and of course its up the other end somewhere.

Am I alone with this ?   Does everyone now count backwards from the right ?

I count from the main switch, whatever side that is on. 

My mate does the same ...if the switch is on left he counts from there. 

i go by the numbered label if one is provided, or from main switch, or randomly start in the middle if I'm that sort of mood :slap

As steptoe, always count from the switch be it left or right side.

post-22030-0-00669500-1432141493_thumb.jpost-22030-0-50641600-1432141520_thumb.j[attachment=5775

For my IP65 range of DBs and any other ones without adequate labels, I can and do supply labels as shown.

This gives a choice of L/H or R/H configuration.

What do you do here then?

31A59Zabl6L._SX300_.jpg

What do you do here then?

31A59Zabl6L._SX300_.jpg

Where's the main switch?

in the middle although it doesn't look the case in that picture because the iso doesn't look joined.

blatantly pilfered from another fourm ;)

4enuzuvu_zpsqgbowev6.jpg

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/consumer-units-meet-17th-edition-requirements-0

:slap well done BD

But I'm the same as Steps count out from the main switch

Thats 3 for the Main Switch Brigade  then & just me counting  left to right .  So far .   

Hi Blue Duck,

Your question to me is academic, since I don't do 17th Edition Split Boards.

If I did, I would use part L/H labels and part R/H labels, which would work OK.

If RCD labels were required, I could produce them quite easily.

Not  only can I supply DBs to your specification, I can supply the labels to your spec.as well.

Me?

Start at switch

I think it is the CGD and CED boards that run the earth connections in the OPPOSITE direction to the L& N.....never understood that

Just saying

Start at main switch for type A boards.

The REAL challenge is type B...

Which way do you number them babies! ;)

Contactum also do that IIRC,,,

I also number from switch ;)

Type B?

Bottom left to top left

Top right to bottom right. Usually

But i have seen some left righ, left right!

Fricking nightmare, no consistency at all

Probably better just to not bother numbering or labelling them

Exactly my point Kerch!

I saw one numbered by the manufacturer the other day top left to bottom left, top right to bottom right.

Another one numbered by an installer top left to bottom left, bottom right to top left.

I always start at top left, work down to bottom left then the other side top to bottom.

One manufacturer as bottom left TPN way as one, way 2 is bottom right, then the 3rd is back on the left above one etc.

Dorman smith series 15 boards started from the bottom and worked up, but applied that to phase sequence as well so the board looked like:

B---------------BY---------------YR---------------RB---------------BY---------------YR---------------R

Now 6 for the Main Switch Brigade  & still me counting L to R 

what really matters is that the circuits are labelled correctly, and numbered consistently, and match any paperwork. Could't give a toss if you used roman numerals, as long as it is clear what each circuit does.

Hi Blue Duck,

Your question to me is academic, since I don't do 17th Edition Split Boards.

If I did, I would use part L/H labels and part R/H labels, which would work OK.

If RCD labels were required, I could produce them quite easily.

Not only can I supply DBs to your specification, I can supply the labels to your spec.as well.

Hi Dave, sorry to be confusing I had just come down with man flu and wasn't following correct forum etiquette by not quoting the OP.

:(

SBS Dave, reporting from Lake Como, Italy.

Hi Blue Duck, no need to apologise, I've been partially confused since turning 70, over 3 years ago.

I can't blame man flu, so it must be senility.

However, I can generally supply DB labels to your spec. horizontal or vertical and my part-confusion does not include matters electrical.

Unless of course, I am confused about what I am confused about!!

Archived