Consumer Unit Numbering .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always had a problem with the logic of this ...which I think started with the old Wylex 3036 brown  jobbies .

Their main switch was always on the right & in the cover they printed  " Counting from the right " 

Now I have this old fashioned way of counting which I learned at an equally old fashioned Sec. Mod. School that tends to start at the left and progress by units of 1 to the right .      The Wylex conundrum I learnt to deal with .

However , my mate ,along with a few others , on modern boards , main switch on the right , still number from that end which is OK unless they say " The circuit you want is No. 4 "     I go to the fourth one along and of course its up the other end somewhere.

Am I alone with this ?   Does everyone now count backwards from the right ?

CU LABELS.jpgN & E TERMINAL LABELS.jpg[attachment=5775

For my IP65 range of DBs and any other ones without adequate labels, I can and do supply labels as shown.

This gives a choice of L/H or R/H configuration.

What do you do here then?

31A59Zabl6L._SX300_.jpg

:slap  well done BD

But I'm the same as Steps count out from the main switch

Hi Blue Duck,

Your question to me is academic, since I don't do 17th Edition Split Boards.

If I did, I would use part L/H labels and part R/H labels, which would work OK.

If RCD labels were required, I could produce them quite easily.

Not  only can I supply DBs to your specification, I can supply the labels to your spec.as well.

Exactly my point Kerch!

I saw one numbered by the manufacturer the other day top left to bottom left, top right to bottom right.

Another one numbered by an installer top left to bottom left, bottom right to top left.

I always start at top left, work down to bottom left then the other side top to bottom.

One manufacturer as bottom left TPN way as one, way 2 is bottom right, then the 3rd is back on the left above one etc.

Dorman smith series 15 boards started from the bottom and worked up, but applied that to phase sequence as well so the board looked like:

Code:
 B---------------BY---------------YR---------------RB---------------BY---------------YR---------------R

Last edited by a moderator:
what really matters is that the circuits are labelled correctly, and numbered consistently, and match any paperwork. Could't give a toss if you used roman numerals, as long as it is clear what each circuit does.