Earth Leakage Relay Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this in a thread the other week,,, but now I've been asked to price the remedials so I need to figure this out.

I need to test an earth leakage relay which is set to 1A 0.5sec delay... My Megger1502 shows >600ms when I tested it last week, even when I turn the delay down....

So,,, is this a limitation of my tester,, is there a fault in the ELR?

Or is there another way of testing it that I can easily (relatively cheaply) use

Any load that draws a little over 1A connected between L and E

So a 300W halogen lamp would draw about 1.25A and should trip it.

Time it with a stop watch to see it trips after 0.5 second.

Either it's not working, or it's taking more than half a second and your tester is giving up.

Ramp it with a clamp around the tails to verify the leakage, and a volt meter on the output of the CT to check the output level, that will verify the function.

Now next whack your tester on 1A, hit the start button at the same time as a stop watch and it should trip just over 0.5s later.

What is the BS/EN std and the full detail of the kit?

It's got an analogue output scaled 0-1mA to indicate leakage level, so you could use this to check also.

You might need a bit of kit to convert this to a voltage perhaps and it will be d.c. I would expect.

We might need to look @ EN 50081-1, 50082-2, 60255-22-1, 60255-11, 61543, 61010, & 60068 to see how to test it, and get the results.

Do any of these meet the requirements of BS7671?

Latest posts