Faster Broadband, Slower Connection?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just had the office braodband upgraded. Speed checker show 100mbit download speed, 10 mbit upload speed, yet the internet browsers (all of them) seem to be working slower than ever - confuddled I is. Anyone got any ideas what to do about it?

Stepps hates Window with a vengence   ...I've noticed. 

Binky  mine was running slow as you describe .....  I use Firefox ,so refreshed it & it speeded up no end .    It did return slightly different , as in something unimportant was missing but the refresh also saves the old FF settings in a file .

I forgot what was missing so it was obviously nothing .

Hey look at me giving computer advice  :C

How does Stepps get online in North Korea anyway?

he's the illicit love child of kim pong yo..... :slap

re-loading firefox is a good suggestion, s'funny the laptop has n't changed, just the desktop PCs in the office.

Last edited by a moderator:
You tried tweaking the mtu? With most routers being self install these days, the mtu never gets set right. A neighbour of mine had 50mb line. Mtu was set to 1500. He only got max 2 to 3mb. I tweaked at and boom, just under 50mb

I've just had the office braodband upgraded. Speed checker show 100mbit download speed, 10 mbit upload speed, yet the internet browsers (all of them) seem to be working slower than ever - confuddled I is. Anyone got any ideas what to do about it?
Check the staff aren't all streaming bids music etcVids blooming auto spell

there's only 2 in the office and they certainly aren't doing that, Like all women they like to have 20 screens open, but they've always doen that so it dosn't explain why it's taking so long to access webpages

Do you have a hub on your internal network, if so it could be restricted to 10 MBS.

Did a job once to track sagw drops, turned out to be a hub, not quick enough for the minimum requirements

new hub, Virgin. Have done speed test, seems to be working fine. Think Firefox is the issue. Unfortunatly I'm not in office for a few days, so won't have a chance to sort it out.

1492 still seems high for mtu. here is hw to check it. Assuming wondows OS. Go a cmd prompt and type in

ping -l 1492 -f google.co.uk

in the response see if it says that the packet needed to be fragmented (probably will)

then try

ping -l 1472 -f google.co.uk

This one should ping ok. You can try taking the number higher but it usually needs to be set at 1472. This is the standard 1500 - a 28bit packet header/

If this doesn't work, then if all the connections that are slow are using Wifi, check the wifi settings on router and maybe change the wifi chanel.

I have found thes 2 tweaks usually sort out slow connections

found a way around this.

Default to Chrome browser (other browsers are available) go into settings and import bookmarks from firefox - got all my old stuff back and v fast connection

usual stuff like adobe flash, - I try to avoid bloatware, so rarely add anything (there is about 10 items) and according to add-on manager all were either turned off or 'ask before use', so don't quite see how they were causing trouble - might be the the add-on manager itself! Start up Firefox in safe mode and what a difference high speed broadband makes......turn it back on and die of boredom loading 1 page.

I did try reloading Firfox - no use, and I've imported all the bookmarks passwords etc etc into Chrome with no ill effects. So still haven't quite got my finger on exactly what went wrong, but it's sorted so I can get on with work.